Kitchen Sink Plumbing (Drain Pipe is Leaking)

Old 01-24-09, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen Sink Plumbing (Drain Pipe is Leaking)

My kitchen sink drain plumbing decided to start leaking today. The joint circled in red is where I believe the leak to be coming from. I can tighten the collar by hand, but that has done nothing. What steps should I take to ensure no further leaks?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 08:35 PM
How about some teflon plumber's tape to make the joint more watertight?

Photo Credit: acmehowto

For instructions and tips, go to How To Use Teflon Tape - Plumbing Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

Old 01-24-09, 08:43 PM
So can I just undo those joints, retape and then put back together? Will that be enough? Thanks.

Old 01-24-09, 09:02 PM
Should take care of the problem if it as you describe. You can run some water and feel around on the pipe for the leak to assure that it is where you think it is. Wrap as instructed in the link.

I have a leak in the same location in my rental. It does not leak all the time. I keep a paper towel folded to catch the occasional drip. It has never saturated the towel. So, I just change the paper towel from time to time to keep an eye on it. If it worsens, I will call the maintenance man. In the meantime, it's simpler to use the paper towel than to have the maintenance man crawling around under the sink. I had him look at it once before. He, like you, tightened it by hand. But, it still puts out the occasional drip.

Old 01-24-09, 09:24 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Teflon tape is NOT the proper way to deal with that leak. Quite honestly, what you have is not even legal, it is what is called an "S" trap and it is prone to siphoning the water seal. That aside, you are leaking at that joint because it either is not properly aligned or there is dirt on the coned joint.

Old 01-24-09, 09:53 PM
Thanks, furd. I wasn't thinking trap. I was thinking leak.

Yes, to S traps being illegal. But, in older construction, there are thousands of S traps in use. Older building codes did not address this issue. And, I guess the "S" should stand for potential siphoning, rather than their shape.

Old 01-24-09, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Teflon tape is NOT the proper way to deal with that leak. Quite honestly, what you have is not even legal, it is what is called an "S" trap and it is prone to siphoning the water seal. That aside, you are leaking at that joint because it either is not properly aligned or there is dirt on the coned joint.
Thanks for the input. Can you please explain the, "siphoning the water seal" bit?

Old 02-18-09, 12:16 AM
Please advise on this issue

I have a two basin kitchen sink and the drain pipe leaks only when the water flows in one of the basins. I noticed a few drops near the circular joint.

Will a sealant or a plumber's putty help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-09, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
in some cases yes plumbers putty has been used and it worked for awhile but why not go buy the $1 piece and fix it properly. if it is installed correctly that type of connection should not leak. if there is any pressure like downward or sideways pressure on these pipes they will leak no matter what, especially if you have a disposer that when running vibrates the pipes.

water running through an "s" trap is like siphoning gas from a car, once you get it flowing it doenst stop till you break the vacuum. in a trap that means until the water is pretty much all gone. you ever dump a bucket of water in the toilet? what happens if you do is there is only a small amount of water left in the bottom of the bowl which is only what didnt get siphoned because the vacuum broke before that water could be sucked out. the toilet is designed with an s-trap. without the tank to refill the bowl after a flush you could possibly have sewer gas entering your home/business