drains, commodes,shower--help!!!

Old 01-25-09, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drains, commodes,shower--help!!!

Last night my #1 commode leaked water underneath bowl on floor when I flushed #2 commode which also leaked water the same way. what would have caused this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 06:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Possible bad wax seals, but more than that, a possible drain stoppage or a vent stoppage. Are #1 and #2 over under or beside each other in close proximity?

Old 01-26-09, 11:08 AM
No they are at opposite ends of the house. On the same level. Also had water back up in the shower. As far as I can tell there is only one vent in the roof. When they built the second bathroom I don't think they put a vent.

Old 01-26-09, 01:49 PM
you need to have your main line cleaned and the wax seals replaced

Old 01-26-09, 03:09 PM
Do I call a plumber to clean the main line or can the septic tank cleaning man do that? I need my tank pumped also. I can change the wax seals. Thanks!

Old 01-31-09, 08:48 AM
There is a possibility that your drains are not clogged and your septic system is simply full and needs pumping. If you suspect your septic tank is full, get it pumped before attempting to clean the drain pipes.

Since you can change the wax rings, then you can snake the drains yourself when the toilets are off. Buy a snake when you go buy the new wax rings. There are lots of snakes to choose from but as a suggestion, start with the 50-foot, non-powered 1/2" diameter variety. Just shove it down the hole and work it back/forth when you feel resistance. Some things to consider:
1. Wear gloves. Eye protection wouldn't hurt either to avoid getting gunk in your eyes when pulling the snake back up.
2. Speaking of gunk......consider putting a drop cloth down so you have something to put the snake on when you are done.
3. Can you have a garden hose with a sprayer rigged up? Use this to flush down the gunk when you run the snake back/forth. This will also rinse off the snake as you pull it out when you are all done.
4. Before storing the snake, coat it with oil to prevent rusting. Zip-ties are a handy way to keep it coiled up for storage.

Old 01-31-09, 11:35 AM
"Since you can change the wax rings, then you can snake the drains yourself when the toilets are off. Buy a snake when you go buy the new wax rings. There are lots of snakes to choose from but as a suggestion, start with the 50-foot, non-powered 1/2" diameter variety. Just shove it down the hole and work it back/forth when you feel resistance"

nothing like using an undersized cable and no power. i hope you are in good shape for this. oh and it wont clean the line effectively so youll probably have to do it like once every couple of months or so if your lucky

Old 01-31-09, 09:43 PM
If I have to do it every couple of months that will kill me--- even if I am in great shape-- is there another way that will last longer? I changed out one toilet today (with a new one- it was old and the back lid was broken) and I snaked with a 25' line ( I already had). Then my son took a shower In the other bathroom and the drain backed up and the toilet in that bathroom would not flush. But water didn't come under the toilet I changed out today. So I guess the problem is in that bathroom drain.

Old 02-02-09, 02:47 PM
Hey Guys update---- I had the tank pumped out today and the man said I did have a block in the main line. He stopped up the shower drain and plunged the toilet with alot more force than I had and THANK GOD it went through!! I am also getting an estimate to replace the old cast iron pipes. I am getting that crap out of the house ASAP!!! Old House and plumbing. Thanks Guys!!