Types of Pipe

Old 01-26-09, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Types of Pipe

We have a fresh water pipe leaking in the basement (plumber told us how to put on a pipe repair clamp till he could get here) and we might have to have at least the one pipe replaced. The plumber says he would replace it with copper, but I've seen some posts in some groups by people saying their copper pipes have developed pinholes in just a few years.

Ours is currently is galvanized, I guess.

I have heard that PVC (CPVC?) and PEX have chemicals that can cause cancer.

Can you guys give me some perspective on pipe materials? Donít they make galvanized any more?

Loretta

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yes they still make galvanized but it hasnt been installed as a water system for over 30 years. copper pin holing is due to low ph level of the water i have not heard anything about cancer caused from cpvc or pex ( you in Ca. where everything causes cancer?) if you are worried about a problem with copper have your water tested but i am sure your plumber knows the condition of the water in your area and if copper is safe to use. i have seen copper in houses that are 50 years old and never had a problem

Old 01-26-09, 02:00 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Yes, tons of galvanized pipe is made and tons of it is still being installed. That stated, galvanized pipe is usually a poor choice in residential service. In some localities the water is corrosive to copper but that is fairly rare. If your plumber is a licensed plumber he (she?) will know if the local water is corrosive to copper.

PEX and CPVC are certified for drinking water. There have been some instances where carcinogens have been detected in plastics but to my knowledge there has never been a case where plastic piping has been proven to be the cause of cancer in humans.

Old 01-27-09, 07:43 PM
Furd and Plumbermandan,

Thanks for the information!

Ha, Plumberman, that was a California website I was reading from. They do look out for themselves there, but worrying constantly is not that pleasant either!

Thank you both for taking the time to help me!

Loretta

Old 01-29-09, 02:05 AM
well have fun with $200 plastic faucets or $700 stainless steel ones. those are the only thing out now that will meet your code for "no lead at all" in domestic water systems, at the present time

Old 01-29-09, 09:56 AM
Plumbermandan,

Now I am starting to worry that if the plumber replaces the area of pipes leading into the basement bathroom, that will increase the pressure on the plumbing in the bathroom and cause problems in there. Is that a possibility?

Furd,

You say you are on the wet side of Washington State. Is that in the Seattle area?

Loretta

Old 01-30-09, 11:41 AM
no that is not a concern you need to worry about. what ever your incoming water pressure is is what you will have or less

Old 01-31-09, 10:34 AM
Thank you. We just had a plumber come over and he charged us $417 to work two hours and change just a small section of pipe to Pex. We just can't do this.