Washing Machine with Horizontal Drain above it?

Old 01-28-09, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Washing Machine with Horizontal Drain above it?

Hi all - I'm a complete newbie when in comes to plumbing. I've just bought my first house (build in mid-50s I'd guess, in northern NJ) and have a laundry question I hope someone can help with.

The laundry area is in the basement of the house. The hot and cold water hook-ups seem normal (to me anyway) and the previous owners left the houses attached. I have a brand new front-loading washing machine.

However, the drain pipe is not in the floor of the foundation. Its about 5 feet up and coming horizontally out of the wall. It's a 5-6" iron (I'm guessing) pipe that reduces down quickly to two short sections of 1" copper pipe. Between the two sections there appears to be a trap installed. Also, the entire drain pipe on the inside has a slight down angle leading outside (and underground).

My question is if a washing machine (with it's rubber drain hose at about 3 feet) will drain "up" to the drain pipe at 5 feet? This seems unlikely to me...

Also:
- Would a maching machine typically drain based on gravity, or is the water "pushed" out via the spin cycle?

- Can I connect a rubber drain hose to a copper pipe with tape and clamps? Or is there a better hose I can put on my washing machine?

Any and all help would be appreciated! And thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 12:58 PM
Hi cmacdon3-

I donít have plumbing expertise. I installed a washing machine in my motherís house and then also my house. In those cases , which I believe is typical, there is a vertical pipe in the laundry area called a standpipe. I think these are somewhere about 3-4 feet high. You hang your washer drain hose on the standpipe pipe.

But I think in some cases washers also drain down lower right into a floor drain. Not sure but in that case I think you need a special doohickey because it drains down low Ė gravity or something kicks in and vacuums or something need to be considered ( you can see my expertise).

I just bought a front-loader also and Iím almost 100% positive all washers use a pump to pump out the water and so have a requirement for how high or low the drain must be. Here is a set of requirements for one washer and I think (but not sure) this is the kind of stuff they all say:

DRAIN REQUIREMENTS

1. Drain capable of eliminating 17 gals. per minute.
2. A standpipe diameter of 1-1/4 inches (3.18 cm) minimum.
3. The standpipe height above the floor should be:

Minimum height: 33 inches (83.82 cm)
Maximum height: 96 inches (244 cm)

So maybe that 5 feet height you described would be OK. Hope so! One washer I looked at Iím sure said that if you needed a drain hose longer than 3 feet that it was an option. But this plumbing stuff is tricky and maybe a plumber would say your washer canít connect directly into the main drain like that. Hope itís OK.

Iím sure some experts here will help you soon. Good luck!

Old 01-28-09, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yes your washer water is pumped out of the machine. the 5' height should be doable but i question the connection.

either take some really good pics of the drain pipes for it and post them here so we can look at them or have a plumber out.

a washer drain can not be sealed or you will create a new set of problems

Old 01-30-09, 09:01 AM
Link to pictures

Hi all - here is a link to some pictures of the situation. I believe the house was built in the 1950's and all the connections were all put in place by original or previous owners.

Pics are on Snapfish:
Snapfish: Share:Registration_Opt2

Pic 1 & 2 are overviews showing the horizontal pipe, hot & cold connection (little door), the hot and cold hoses (left by previous owners and capped), and what I think are the OLD hot and cold water connections (bigger door).

Pic 3 & 4 are my dryer wires...ignore.

Pic 5 is a close-up of the pipe. It is on a slight down-angle leading outside. The "bulb-like" object in the middle of the pipe is marked "3/4" and I think is a trap (poked a screwdriver down the end and felt the flap)

Pic 6 is a close shot of the hot/cold water connections. Looks like a single valve controls the on/off, though I'm not sure of what position it should be in to be "off" right now - hoses have water in them.

Pic 7 looks like the old hot/cold connections - they lead to the connections in Pic 6 though there are some other connections between the two.

Pic 8 is another shot of the pipe. You can see the slight down-angle leading outside.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-09, 10:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ok i can only see 1 pic without joining so that does me no good. can you post the images to here so we can see them easily?

Old 01-31-09, 08:14 AM
Hi again cmacdon3 -

Just FYI. If you want you could always post your pictures at photobucket.com. It's free. I believe a lot of people on these forums post there. I have posted there myself for discussions on these forums.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-09, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
I don't see a trap to the drain. Height should be ok but you will get smells from sewer without a trap. Don't know what pipe is in pict 3 & 4 Or where it is in basement?