Bang, bang... all of a sudden, water hammer!

Old 01-28-09, 01:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bang, bang... all of a sudden, water hammer!

Hey everyone! So here's my story, please help if you can. Ill give all the details of what has happened so you have the full picture. Fiirst off, I never had it before. About 3 months ago I had a outdoor spigot pipe break off underground in my flowerbed. I ended up digging it up and replacing the barbed fitting in the poly pipe that is right there, and the pipe that was connected to it. Problem solved. I don't remember any waterhammer after that. I went on vacation for christmas and while I was gone I had a neighbor come over to my house and turn on the water so it wouldn't freeze with the really cold weather we were having. They did so, but the next day a buddy checked the house and told me that the water wasn't running, because the pipes froze anyway. I freaked out being 3000 miles away from my house and asked him to turn off the water at the street in case anything broke. He did and when I got home and turned everything on, no leaks, no problems. Other than my new friend water hammer.... I did some research and found I should drain the system again to recharge the water hammer absorbers the house should have (built in 1979) with air. Well I did that, but I don't have a two story house, its a ranch, so I wasn't able to drain things completely and when I refilled, I still have waterhammer. What gives? How can I eliminate this? I have an air compressor, should I force the water out, or is this a crazy idea? Sorry for it being so long, I just want to give all the details because I'm guessing they are connected because it just showed up. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ok first off those air chambers dont work because it does not take long for the air to be absorbed into the water.

next does it sound like a jack hammer in the walls or exactly how does it sound?

and what do you do to hear the sound exactly?

Old 01-28-09, 08:15 PM
S
Its def a bang bang sound, only on the cold side, and the faster I shut off the cold the louder and more intense the sound. Also the toilet when it shuts off it bangs too. And it sounds under the house where the pipes are. Thanks for response!

Old 01-28-09, 10:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the quick closing valves of the toilet is one reason in my area we have to install hammer arrestors behind the toilet in new construction.

try isolating it by turning each fixture off one at a time starting with the toilet

Old 01-28-09, 10:15 PM
S
Ok will do. Any idea why it showed up all of a sudden? If I isolate it, then what can I do? Thanks again.

Old 02-01-09, 09:28 AM
S
Any ideas, anyone? Why did it show up all of a sudden?
What's the fix? Scott

Old 02-01-09, 10:37 AM
It is very possibly a loose washer in a valve

Old 02-01-09, 11:08 AM
S
Loose washer? In the water shutoff in the toilet? I'm sorry about my lack of understanding. Where do I begin? Loose washer causes waterhammer how? I know I have a leaky washer on the end of my garden hose but I'm thinking that's not what you mean. I seek understanding about my issue because it showed up out of nowhere.
Thanks in advance.