turn off valve leaks when closed

Old 01-29-09, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy turn off valve leaks when closed

I want to change our bathroom faucet. When I try to turn off the hot water valve under the sink, it starts to leak (the cold water valve closes without any problem). When both are turned on, the valves do not leak. I would prefer not to turn off the entire house water. Is there a simple repair to stop this valve from leaking when closed? I don't know much about plumbing but have changed a faucet before and didn't run into this problem. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-09, 12:46 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I am going to assume that you mean the valve is leaking from around the "stem" of the valve. If yes, then you can try to snug up the "packing nut" which is the hexagon piece under the handle from which the stem protrudes. Don't reef on it hard, just a slight turn in a clockwise direction of probably an eighth of a turn or so should do it. This may make the valve more difficult to open and close.

Old 01-30-09, 10:11 AM
If the mentioned tightening does not work,and I will also stress to not get carried away with the tightening,then there is no alternative to replacing the valves.These valves are not meant to be repaired and you cannot find parts for them.If they date to the 70's or later they are mostly plastic inside.All are plated brass bodies and with age the metal will become brittle.Even if you stop the leaking with tightening you probably still need to replace the valves.

Old 01-30-09, 10:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
as furd mentioned if it is the handle then tightening the packing nut usually stops it but they have been know to crack with little of the umf factor used but that also depends on teh quality of the valve. if it just wont stop the water from going to the faucet replacement is the best approach. the new 1/4 turn ball valve type are great, will work longer and is either off or on.

Old 01-30-09, 03:25 PM
Unhappy turn off valve leaks when closed

Thanks for all the input. Since I couldn't turn off both faucets from below the sink we tried to turn off the entire house spiquot. Unless we did something wrong, the water did not stop flowing. How long does it take for the house turn off valve to shut off the water? We have a booster pump as well as a hot water circulating pump. I turned off the circulating pump but did not turn off the booster pump. When we moved here we were told not to turn off the booster pump. As a followup to the leaking valve, is it easy to replace the entire shut off valve or it it time to call in a professional? The faucet I wanted to replace looks sooo simple to install if only I can turn off the water!

Old 01-30-09, 05:27 PM
If the whole house valve doesn't start showing an effect on water flow within a few minutes it may be that this valve also needs repair or replacement.Open several foucets after turning it off and watch what happens.If all else fails turn it off at the meter.Generally supply valves are not hard to replace but if they are soldered on or are of significant age then the situation can be problematic.how old is your house and are these valves original installed when the house was built?

Old 01-31-09, 09:31 PM
turn off valve leaks when closed

when we turned off the whole house valve, we did turn on a couple bathroom faucets and although the flow diminished, it never stopped;

the house is 30 years old and I suspect nothing has been changed since then; we had a new kitchen faucet installed by a plumber and he installed new supply lines and valves at both faucets but at the time I didn't think to ask him to check the rest of the faucets. I think to avoid problems I need to call a plumber to check all the water valves and possibly replace them all. thanks for your advice.