100ft propane line question

Old 01-30-09, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100ft propane line question

I need to run 100 feet of line to connect my propane tank to generator and while I'm out in the country and will not be inspected I do want this to be done properly. The gas company said I need 5/8 or 3/4 copper at the tank and they will put high pressure regulator on tank and lower pressure regulator at the generator. To make the whole 100+ ft run in copper would be quite expensive. Is there another accepted option that's less expensive I can run underground and then adapt to copper before coming out of the ground at the tank and generator ends? Is heavy PVC a usable option for gas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-09, 11:01 PM
DO NOT install any piping that is not rated by the manufacturer for the type of fuel you are using. That includes making sure it is suitable for outside, underground installation. There other interior gas lines allowed out there now, but I don't think you can bury them.

To my knowledge, there is no plastic tubing for residential installations at this time. Bite the bullet and use the copper, It would not hurt to sleeve it and bury with caution tape also.

Old 01-31-09, 12:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
u can ask your local inspection officials if compression risers are legal in your area and buy some poly pipe. it is thick yellow plastic pipe but your area may require fusion joints for the risers. you would need to run a tracer wire along with the plastic pipe since it wont conduct a current. with copper there would be no joints to make underground and would only need yellow caution tape ran a couple inches above it, no tracer wire required for copper.

let me just add that any gas work usually needs to be filed and inspected. gas will make your house sneeze! so a professional or at least an inspection would be a smart thing to have

Old 01-31-09, 06:44 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and Mark believe me the reason for this post is to find what is safe for gas usage. I was just looking for all the options available plus was wondering specifically if the grey sched 80 pvc was allowable because I still have over 200ft of 1" on hand. I have sleeving for the copper as well left over from other stuff but was looking for other options that may be less expensive.
Dennis

Old 01-31-09, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
no the grey pipe will not work!

either the copper or the yellow poly pipe as i described or if you can still find any you can run specially coated steel pipe

Old 01-31-09, 04:21 PM
I went with the roll poly and a couple of 3/4" risers with compression fitting. Total cost $103 including tax. The 3/4"K Copper would have been $210 for 50ft roll and I would have needed 2 rolls so it was a no brainer as far as expense. Now need to finish digging... have about 35-40 feet to go but fighting the tree roots from my live oaks and pin oaks every foot.
Thanks again guys...
Dennis