Hot water slows to a trickle.

Old 01-31-09, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water slows to a trickle.

Water is same temperature as normal, but after turning on, it comes out at full pressure for a few seconds, then dries up to a trickle.

After running hot water for a few minutes, the water continues to run through the pipes leading into the water heater for a few minutes.

I suspect the shutoff valve above the water heater is defective. Does that sound right? Can it be repaired, ie can I replace the innards and fix it if defective, or do I need to get a plumber to come and sweat out the brazed in fittings and braze in an entire new assembly?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-09, 11:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
is this in just 1 faucet or in the whole house? if it is just 1 faucet wither it is a problem in the faucet or the piping leading to it. if it is the whole house the best thing would be to post a picture of hte pipes going into and out of the water heater.. if whole house i suspect the is a steel nipple that is occluded

Old 01-31-09, 11:53 AM
Entire house

All the faucets in the house area affected. I am attaching a picture of the top of the water heater with attached plumbing.

Old 01-31-09, 04:10 PM
Yes, the cold water supply is choked off causing you to pull a vacuum when the hot faucet(s) is(are) turned on. So obvious all I had to read is a couple lines to deduce this. And the restriction could be anywhere between the w/h's cold side (if not right at the fitting into water heater or valve), and where a GOOD cold water flow tees off from that same cold water line.

Fittings- couplings- elbows, disimilar metals, almost closed valves or displaced washers in valves can be most common culprits.

What is on the other side of that wall that the pipes come through?

Old 02-01-09, 05:36 PM
I have this same problem but with just the kitchen sink. I have no experience with plumbing, so if anyone could help me please it would be much appreciated

Old 02-02-09, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by takyo_style View Post
I have this same problem but with just the kitchen sink. I have no experience with plumbing, so if anyone could help me please it would be much appreciated
please post in a new thread since your problem may be completely different.

skywatcher, i see some things that may be a problem but the picture is to small or to far away for me to tell exactly what is going on with your pipes