Washer Machine Lint in older home sewer...

Old 02-01-09, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Washer Machine Lint in older home sewer...

Hello!

We're replacing our existing top load washer with a front loading machine. I've always discharged washers into a laundry tub with mesh screen attached to the hose to keep lint out of the drain, but with a new location planned, it will be more practical to install a modern 2" discharge standpipe. However, our house plumbing is old cast iron and I'm concerned that allowing lint to go down the drain tube will lead to problems.

Yes, lots of other "stuff" goes through my drain/sewer without problem, but its organic matter. Many modern fabrics contain inorganic (nylon, rayon, polyester, etc) fibers which don't breakdown easily - thus my concern about lint buildup.

Am I worrying about nothing? The LG front-loader we're buying does have a lint trap that is supposed to be periodically cleaned out - maybe that's as good as the old mesh screen technique we've used for years?

If I were to discharge into the laundry tub I'd need to extend the discharge hose to about 15 feet. Not sure how that would impact the washer or where to find such a hose.

All thoughts appreciated!

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I think with the new filter system on the LG, you won't have any problem. I believe you would have more problems with the 15 foot hose trying to run it into the sink.

Old 02-02-09, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you should have anything to worry about even without a lint trap. you may be flushing only organics down the toilet but that stuff doesnt always disolve in a couple minutes, it usually takes a few weeks to years for it to break down but yet the toilet paper still doesnt clog your lines.