Main water shut off valve location

Old 02-02-09, 10:00 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main water shut off valve location

Here's the deal. I have two leaking shut off valves in my house, one for the hot water under the kitchen sink and one for the toilet. Recently I had closed both of these, first time since we moved in here 5 yrs ago, opened them up and now they both leak. Question is, without turning off the main water at the meter, since I am without a meter key, where can I locate another shut off valve? I live in NC and the meter is about 2' under ground with a small grate cover on top. Next to my sink in the kitchen is a knob that resembles one for my outside faucet. It is located in about the same spot as the outside faucet, of course on the other side of the wall. With the way things are leaking when turned I am almost afraid to turn it, also with the fear that this isn't the right spot. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. If it helps, I think my house was built in 1971 or so. It is on a slab with no basement or crawl space.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 10:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ok first it may just be a packing nut that needs tightened on the 2 stop valves. i would try that first.

next the shut off should be close to the house where the service enters. sometimes i have seen where a box was installed with nothing in it especially on older houses.

Old 02-02-09, 11:05 AM
R
I will give that a shot. I looked around the entire house and the only things on the outside are the water faucets. One in the front and one in the back. Nothing else. Am I correct to assume that since the front outside faucet and the knob on the inside are on opposite sides of the wall that this is the shut off to the house?

Old 02-03-09, 06:22 AM
M
You can buy a curb key at most big box home improvement stores.