Draining a water softener no floor drain.

Old 02-03-09, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Draining a water softener no floor drain.

Hello all, I'm a newbie to the DIY forums.

I am looking to buy a water softener and installing it myself. I have a finished basement with drywall ceilings so I am limited on what pipes etc. that I have easy access to. Looks like my best bet would be to install it in the storage/unfinished portion of my basement. It is close to the main water and will be sitting right next to a drainage stack, floor drain is not close. Is it possible to drain right into the stack that is right next to the water softener? If so what would be the best way to do this? Ptrap? It just seems like any pieces that would Y into the stack would be so large to accommodate such a small drain pipe coming from the softener.

Thanks
-Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-09, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you choose that option, be sure to elevate the softener so you can drain it and still have space to install a sweep into the stack pipe. Yes, a ptrap will be necessary. The drain will need to be higher than the wye.

Old 02-04-09, 01:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you could install a sanitary tee into the stack and run over a minimum of 2' install a a wy+1/8th bend looking up with an aav on it then run the trap out the back of the wy+1/8th bend combination install a small riser and drain it to there maintaining an air gap so as not to allow back siphonage into your water system from the sewer or you could run the hose to the floor drain (recommended)