Washer drain and lint problem

Old 02-05-09, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer drain and lint problem

I have a washer that drains into a stand pipe. Every year the drain pipe under the basement floor gets clogged with lint and I have to snake it out - this is getting to be a pain. This time, after snaking the pipe, I put one of those metal screen lint traps on the washer drain tube to catch the lint before it goes into the stand pipe. Well, I guess there was a reason the lint trap said don't use in a stand pipe installation because it clogged in three days and backed up the water all over the basement floor (I have a lot of kids and we do a lot of laundry). There is no room to install a utility sink and drain into that. What other options are there to catch the lint before it gets into the drain pipe? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 02:40 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I'm pretty sure you won't like this answer but you CAN use the lint trap that clamps on the end of the drain hose IF you thoroughly clean it after every load.

You could probably also install a basket strainer as used on boats with inboard engines and cooled by sea water but the cost would likely knock you for a loop and you would still need to clean the basket after every washer load.

The best alternative is likely drain replacement with two-inch PVC from the washer all the way to the main house drain.

Old 02-06-09, 12:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
get the drain properly cleaned or a washer with a built in lint trap