how to remove scale from hot water heater

Old 02-06-09, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to remove scale from hot water heater

i have a fueloil 30 gal ford hot water heater that is 20 years old. last summer the anode rod was replaced and tank drained and flushed. there is a poping noise when the heater comes on that can be heard in any room there the is access to hot water. i assume that i have scaling based on the internet reading i have done. how do i remove it? i drained the tank and there is very little small amount of black particles of sediment, maybe a tablespoon full, out of 6 gallons of water.

what do i do and is this something that i can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-09, 02:32 PM
Water Heater

bill111: I doubt you have the owners manual for that heater, it usually tells you what they recomend; usually six months to a year for flushing. Neglecting to do this for a period of years defeats the purpose.

Once sediment builds up it becomes hard as a rock and I know of no way to get it out and your heater will start to give out less and less hot water. A heater 20 years old is beyond the normal life. I think you should put up with the noise until it needs replacing, sorry

Old 02-07-09, 10:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you could try descaler but you would be without hot water for a day or so and it may not work