leaking pvc pipe

Old 02-07-09, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking pvc pipe

A friend has pipes under the sink that started leaking. I don't know the terminology but the purple stuff used to seal the pipes was used when they were put in. Is there any good way to seal without removing? The little I know makes me think we'll have to cut out the affected area and repipe but it'd be a lot nicer if we could just seal the area. I'm ASSUMING that when the purple stuff is used that we won't be able to just disassembled the problem pipes as I think that's an adhesive, right? Or is there something we can put on that removes or releases it? Again, sealing would be the easiest but when it comes to plumbing for an amateur it seems that nothing ever is as easy as it should be. LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The purple that you see is actually a cleaner/primer that goes on before the glue.

Really, the best way is to cut it out and replace if these are supply lines.

If they are drain lines... you could probably try some epoxy putty. You won't be any worse off if it doesn't work. You might try moving the pipes and see if they forgot to glue the joint. They may have just missed that spot when assembling the system. It happens when they get rushed sometimes. The problem is, if they missed that joint, they probably got the rest, and you may still have to cut it to get the pipes apart.

What point in the pipe is leaking? A picture would be great. You can post the pics at a photo sharing site like flicker or photobucket and post the IMG info in your post. Make sure its a site that doesn't require registration to view.

If you can't post a pic, please describe the size of the pipe and what it is connected to.

Old 02-07-09, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
under a sink i hope they are not pvc supply lines...lol

nope. i have found that the only way to not have to go back and do it again is to remove the affected pipe and install new

Old 02-07-09, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would hope they aren't PVC supplies also, but...anything is possible. I was picturing possible PVC stub outs with male ends or PVC shutoffs or something.

Did you see the old post about the guy who was going to use regular old PVC for a nat gas line?

Old 02-07-09, 10:58 AM
I knew I would forget to mention something. Yes, they are drain lines. It's actually a setup in a bar under three sinks and it is leaking at a tee under the center sink. I can try to upload a pic but as I suspected it sounds like we need to just cut it out and go on. I might try the epoxy putty for a temporary fix though.

Thank you so so much!