Valley, Sears or Aqauline Shower faucet

Old 11-25-02, 01:22 PM
StanW
Visiting Guest
Valley, Sears or Aqauline Shower faucet

I'm at my wits end trying to fix my leaky shower. I described it to the guy at Home Depot and bought the cartridge he recommended (Danco VA-1 for Valley, Sears & Aqauline). I put the new one in, and the shower ran full force (could not turn it off or adjust it at all). I took out the new one, replaced it with the old one (and it reverted back to the slow drip). I shut the water off and took the old part, along with the new part I bought, back to the store (thinking it must have been a defective replacement). Exchanged the part, and verified with the guy at home depot that I had the right one. Just for good measure, I stopped at a Lowe's on the way home, and bought another one (same part, Danco VA-1 for Valley, Sears & Aqualine). Also verified with a plumbing guy there that it's the right part. The old part and the new one look identical. Same thing. Full blast with no control with the new part, slow drip with the old. What am I doing wrong?

Old 11-25-02, 05:33 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I've put in a Valley stem in a Delta valve. Looked the same but worked backwards. Take the original to a plumbing store, They probably can put you on the right track.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-25-02, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, it is sad to think that two people might have led you wrong but maybe not...

If you look at the two valve assemblies and they look identical but the you can't get the new one oriented correctly, then just take the washers and orings off of the new one and put them on the old one and throw what is left of the new one out into the expressway on your way out tomorrow... The old assembly is probably a much higher quality than the new Danco replacement, I can tell you from experience...

Just a thought...

Old 08-29-08, 08:34 PM
E
Same Problem with a solution.

I was having the same problem after installing the Danco VA-1 replacement cartridge; I went from a steady drip to a full open condition. A little investigative and help from my friends at HECTORS HARDWARE in Tonawanda, NY led me to discover I needed to install the Danco VA-2 seat and spring kit as well. The old ones had become so hard and brittle that they had become part of the cartridge housing. These need to be pryed out and replaced. When I did this the problem was solved. It turns out the VA-1 probably did not need to be replaced at all but I decided to replace both components together. Good luck to all who might find themselves in similar situations.

Old 02-08-09, 11:08 AM
J
I am having the same problem with a slow dip that gradually became faster. I went to Home Depot and got both the VA-1 and VA-2 Danco replacement parts. Once installed it was worse and when I went to put the old part back in it was worse as well. I even tried keeping the old parts and using the old washers as well and still no luck. I will post back up if i find a remedy.

Old 02-08-09, 05:06 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If the valve is original to the house you will have much better luck going to an older hardware or plumbing store in the area. Talk to the oldest guy you see.

I had a Neidecker (sp?) faucet in my 1953 home that leaked when shut off. Checking at the big box stores there was nothing with that name. I then went to the plumbing and electrical store that had been in business forever and the old guy at the parts counter said, "Ah, yes, I know it well. I have all the parts you need except the handle screw." That was some thirty years ago but it fixed that valve up just fine until I remodeled the bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: