help -gas pipe to convert wood to gas fireplace

Old 02-08-09, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help -gas pipe to convert wood to gas fireplace

I hope someone can help me -- googled and got useless info back.
I want to run a black gas pipe to a wood-burning fireplace before I finish my basement ceiling and lose access. Later, I will put in a gas insert, but for now, I want to run just the black pipe and whatever valves or cut-offs are necessary.

It would be easy to drill through the bottom of the fireplace, and very hard to get access through the wall (brick walls 13" thick on all sides).

You can see why I want to get the pipe from the basement and not from the wall.

I was going to drill one hole through the tiled hearth for the valve and then a second one through the bottom of the firebox for the pipe connection to the insert.

I don't want the valve hole in front of the fireplace, so I was planning to put the valve off to the side near the vertical leg of the mantle. This means there would be two 90 deg turns between the valve and the connection to the insert. It also means the pipe to the insert will come from the floor not the wall.

Is this plan okay? And where is the best place to put the hole for the pipe which will connect to the insert? Is there a standard location? or does that depend on the insert? I have not chosen which insert, so I am hoping there is a standard location that will work for any insert.

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 04:33 PM
Running gas lines is highly regulated in most areas, and requires proper permits and licenses. This is a DIY website, but this is not a DIY job. Let a pro do it.

Old 02-08-09, 05:51 PM
The first thing you will want to do is make sure the wood burning fireplace with a gas insert is allowable by your insurance companies policy because if not, you will be held liable in the instance something catastrophic were to happen.

If approved by your town codes and insurance company, you will need to find out if it is legal in your town/city for you to install the gas piping without a license or permit.

I would also agree with bill on this, that you should have a professionally trained installer do this job. They will have the proper testing equipment to make sure there are no leaks.

Old 02-08-09, 06:15 PM
I did not make it clear -- I will not be using it for wood, only for gas/gas logs. You're right, many areas do not allow gas "log starters" in wood-burning fireplaces, but that is not what I was planning to do.

I don't think insurance companies have a problem with the type of sealed gas insert that I was planning to use, but I will check.

I always do things to code, and I will have a licensed plumber check the gas line before the ceiling is closed.

thanks

Old 02-08-09, 06:29 PM
I do want to commend you on your choice of black iron piping as your choice of gas piping. I know there are other types available out there but they are still having issues with them.

Luckily, I have never had the opportunity to install any of those gas inserts, so I can not begin to tell you the best location to make the hole to bring the pipe into the chamber.

I would think you could look up a few brands on-line and see what there recommendation is.

I am not saying you cannot do this job, but I just want you to know the possible problems involved with self installation of a hazardous product such as gas.

Please keep safety as NUMBER ONE !!!

Old 02-08-09, 06:38 PM
I could not agree more re safety -- thanks