creaking pipes?

Old 02-08-09, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
creaking pipes?

HI
I'm in the midst of a bathroom remodel. a few weeks ago i learned how to sweat pipes and installed a new shower valve. I tested all of the new joints and have seen no sign of leakage anywhere.
Since then, however, we've been hearing a creaking noise that occurs for a few seconds after any valve (faucet, toilet, etc.) in either bathroom is shut off. (our second bathroom shares the same plumbing wall). Is this a symptom of something bad? Should i try to fix it before i put the wall back together?
Many thanks for any advice oh ye masters of plumbing!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you meant "Gods of Plumbers" that are masters.

Creaking is usually a sign of one or more pipes tight up against some wood someplace. When the piping, (especially HOT) is used, there will be expansion and contraction of the piping causing a creaking noise.
It should not be a problem as long as it is against wood and not metal. As the wood shrinks over time, it may even disappear completely.

If it bothers you too much, you may want to loosen some hangers, but not enough to make the pipes movable and cause a water hammer. Sometimes loosening a hanger and adding a piece of rubber for example will help quiet the pipes.