cutting pipes?


Old 02-09-09, 03:30 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting pipes?

We took out a wet bar of sorts from our family room. Now we have two water shut off valves (cold and hot?) with long copper pipes sticking out from them. We also have about 2 inches of a large metal pipe sticking out the wall as well.
How can we get rid of these pipes? Do we cut them or shove them back into the wall or what?

Becki in Tx.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 04:38 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,219
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The larger pipe is a drain, and usually has a steel nipple into an elbow at the wall. That should be capped, either at the the elbow in the wall or at the end of the nipple. Leaving it open allows sewer gas to enter the house, not good. Are there shutoff valves on the supply lines??? If yes, disconnect at the shutoff. If not, you will need to shut off the water supply to cap them.
Old 02-09-09, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,629
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will have to shut off the house water and back drain, before you work on the copper!

If you want the copper pipes to be completely in the wall, you will have to open up the wall some to cap those lines off. If you are a novice and not used to the fire risk of soldering with open flame in an open wall cavity that can cause updrafting, you could buy brass compression couplings with caps on the end. Or you could buy and slip on Sharkbite fittings with caps at the ends.

If the 2 inch pipe is metal, unscrew it from the female fitting in the wall (likely a female threaded tee fitting in the wall) and install a threaded plug; metal or PVC plug. And put teflon tape around the male plug threads.
Old 02-09-09, 04:54 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,959
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking the "2 inch" reference is a length not a width or diameter.that said if it does refer to diameter/width or was measured as 2 inch it is actually referred to as 1 1/2 inch (the inside diameter) so when you go somewhere to buy a plug make sure you buy an 1 1/2 inch plug or it won't fit.
Old 02-10-09, 03:19 PM
plumbermandan's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 897
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sharkbite caps will work for capping the water lines in the wall but how long they willl lasst i could not tell you

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: