Attaching meter riser ?

Old 02-10-09, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching meter riser ?

I have 3/4 inch yellow pe pipe I put in for gas and attached the meter riser. My question is how tight do I turn this large nut on the compression joint. I got it real tight using pipe wrench but now wonder if it should be this tight.

I found a photo online that looks like what I have and you can see it at this link Webshots - Full Size Photo

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 05:43 PM
Just didn't want to take a chance so stopped by supply house and picked up another compression ring and put it together. I pumped 50lb and has held for a bit over 30 minutes so far but will keep it on for awhile.

Old 02-13-09, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i get them as tight as i can. i usually test gas lines to 5 psi not 50 psi considering it is only going to have ounces of pressure under normal conditions although there is nothing wrong with testing to more than that.

there is nothing wrong with you doing your own gas work as long as you have it permitted and inspected but i caution against this since one mistake is all it takes to lose everything you have including your life

Old 02-13-09, 05:52 PM
Permit not required way out where I live but the LP gas company will do their own pressure check before delivery on any new service or interrupted service. I've always run my own gas and water line when needed and using run the L copper rolls for outside gas but cost of copper being what it is I decided to go with the PE pipe, just had never worked with that before.

Because of the length of run, the tank will be fitted with a 10lb regulator and then a secondary regulator will be used to correct the pressure at both the house and also the standby generator which has a separate dedicated line.

Initially had a small leak at the meter riser by the tank around 3/4" cap so retightened and still leaked so removed, checked, retaped and still it leaked. Removed & replaced with another cap and sealed fine. Anyway, thanks for the help...
Dennis

Old 02-14-09, 10:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
in some areas copper is not allowed for gas because it is corrosive to the copper. most areas allow copper only as a means of connecting from the valve to the appliance.

but it seems you are talking about lp gas which is a different animal