Leaking Washing Maxhing Spigots...

Old 02-13-09, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Washing Machine Spigots...

I recently unhooked my washing machine to clean behind it. Now that I have hooked it back up and turned the hot and cold water back on, both lines are leaking from the wheel handle (as close as I can tell). This didn't happen before I moved it. Any suggestions to stop the leaks? As you can tell I'm not too good with plumbing.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You should be able to use a wrench to slightly tighten the large nuts on the valve below the handle. Hold the valve firmly with another wrench or channel-locks of some sort, and tighten the nuts about an 1/8 turn.

This is pretty common actually, esp with valves that are not turned on and off very often. The seal around the shaft of the valve will dry out, shrink and conform to the shaft a bit over time. When you close the valve, of course there is no pressure on the seal, then when you open it again, the shaft is in a slightly different position and it leaks slightly.

Tightening the nut a bit normally fixes it. Just be sure and hold the valve, you don't want to stress the piping.