Changing the Hot Water stop valve under the sink

Old 02-14-09, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing the Hot Water stop valve under the sink

Hey I'm going to be changing my hot water supply valve to my kitchen sink. Do I need to worry about ruining my gas water heater when I shut off my main water supply and draining the hot water pipes and water heater (I assume drains at the same time) while changing the valve? If there is some kind of protection built into a water heater could I just shut the supply to the water heater off and drain only the hot side of the house when changing this valve?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old 02-15-09, 06:23 PM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
Hi No need to drain the heater. Shut the water to the heater off or main line. Turn on the faucet you want to work on and let it drain then with a pan placed under the angle stop loosen the line from the stop to the sink and let it drain into the pan then slowley remove the valve.
Good Luck woodbutcher

Old 02-15-09, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks woodbutcher, I appreciate the help. So water heaters must have a safety that wont allow an empty tank light. i was hoping that was the case but i didnt want to ruin a water heater changiing an eleven dollar valve. Thanks again

Old 02-16-09, 11:27 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
So water heaters must have a safety that wont allow an empty tank light.
Not even close to that. What Woodbutcher was alluding to is that once the pressure in the system is released the water heater most likely will remain full of water as long as there is not a cold water faucet lower than the water heater left open.

I would suggest that you turn the combination gas valve to the Pilot position before turning off the water and then turning it back to On after you finish the job. Do not turn the gas completely off or it will be necessary to re-light the pilot.