Claw foot tub drain

Old 02-15-09, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Claw foot tub drain

I am remodeling the 3rd floor of my 1928 home and the drain from the claw foot tub has what appear to be a trap with a lid on it. I have removed the old floor and am going to lay a new tile floor but do i need to continue to leave this trap exposed as it has been or can i cover it and tile over it?

The trap is in series from the drain and is about the size of a coffee can. Is this a trap? it does not appear to be a drain for a toilet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-09, 03:25 PM
Bathtub Prob.

1928franchnorma: Thats called a drum trap, they are no longer legal. You can't cover it up, that top is a clean-out.

If you can get to the ceiling below you would be better off replacing it with a p-trap, if not you are stuck with it, sorry.

Old 02-17-09, 05:23 PM
Actually replacing it with a p-trap is not a good idea but a replacement with a new PVC drum trap would be a good idea. Because of the type of venting used in those days, if you replace the drum trap with a p-trap, you could siphon the trap occasionally. I am not saying I have never done this myself, but when on the second floor, access is limited and would cost a lot more if returning the trap back to normal is required because of a problem.

Old 02-18-09, 12:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
check your codes. some areas say that if you repair you dont have to bring it up to code but if you replace it it must be brought to todays code which drum traps are illegal in every area i know of. replacing with another drum trap is the easiest thing but not the right thing and i hope you can find one that attaches the same way or you might as well install a p-trap

Old 02-18-09, 04:22 AM
Hi Dan, please do not take this as a negative response to what you posted, just added info. Thanks, Mark

In most areas, just replacing a trap is considered a repair and will not require code updating. If a code update were required, it would most likely include adding some type of vent as the old system of piping in my area was no vents with a 4" stack as long as you were a certain distance ( I think 4') from the stack. That is why all the old houses in my area always have the stack real close to all the bathroom fixtures.

I have been told that replacing a drum trap to a p-trap in this instance can easily cause trap siphoning. That is why I recommend replacing with the same type of trap.

This one is just FYI
I was working on a house in Maine this week. The house is only about 5 years old, and every trap in the house is a drum PVC drum trap. I thought the same as you about them being illegal everywhere, but not in Ogunquit Maine. I am not sure what code they go by there.
This has nothing to do with this article, but read this.
This is a summer home and nobody was living in it when the heat went out for who knows how long. Pipes froze and burst. Worst destruction from burst pipes I have ever seen. All floors, walls, ceilings, and insulation on the first floor along with all floors on the 2nd floor need to be replaced. Usually it is just one or 2 rooms.

Old 02-18-09, 09:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yep. that is why i said to check their codes.

example:
texas has adopted both the upc and ipc and any town/city can adopt either, but when the state adopted those 2 codes they added a grandfather clause that said a city didnt have to change the code they were on unless they changed their charter. that means that some towns still follow codes like the southern building code which like the boca code pretty much allows you to do anything you want