Shower Drain Issue

Old 02-17-09, 10:14 AM
Shower Drain Issue

I put a shower in my basement with the plumbing under the cement already complete when I had the house built. I didn't realize that the shower drain didn't have an p-strap put in it and now the odor from the sewage is coming up the shower drain. I put in a fiberglass base and tiled sides. I'm guessing that I will have to cut the fiberglass base out and put a p-trap in and then maybe tile the floor...unless someone has a great idea that I haven't thought of...Help
S-TrapBeer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
well its a nice mess youve gotten yourself into just because you wanted to save a few bux.

not much else you can do but rip it out and do it again.

costly lesson wasnt it?

Old 02-17-09, 11:01 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
Hi s-trap. Depending upon where that drain runs, you may want to install the trap closer to where you attach it to a vertical vent. What size is the drain pipe and is it currently attached to a vent?

Bud

Old 02-17-09, 04:18 PM
Here is a fix that may help but is not allowed by code in my area.
It is called a running trap. I would not normally even tell anyone about this but in your case, if you can just open up the floor instead of replacing the complete shower pan, maybe it will serve the purpose and will be much better than no trap at all.

This would be installed in the horizontal drain pipe between the shower drain and the vent.

A standard p-trap is a 90* and a u-piece, creating the trap. Instead you will use 2-90* pieces and the u-piece going from horizontal through the trap and then back to horizontal, before the vent tie in.

This is NOT to code but would be better than a complete shower pan removal or no trap at all. No trap is a safety hazard and quite unhealthy.

Old 02-17-09, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 8
I have to ask... just to make sure.

Are you certain there is no trap? Often an unused trap will dry out over a month or two, and allow sewer gas to seep through. Considering the drain likely has never been used, it may not have any water in it to form a trap seal.

Have you tried pouring a gallon of water down the drain and then looking into it with a flashlight to see if there's any water still standing there?

I'm crossing my fingers for you.

On a different note, if you do end up having to tear up the fiberglass pan, I would NOT just tile over it. Getting a waterproof shower base is not an easy job in a typical setup, I'd be quite concerned about leaks. Granted, I don't have a better idea other than maybe removing the first row of tiles and removing/replacing the pan.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-09, 11:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
well they had to tie onto what ever was there to hook up the drain so ill assume there was no trap installed since the plumbers doing the rough in had no idea what was going to be installed in the future, a tub ? a shower ? which type and where would the drain be located? cant tell so just leave a pipe in the general area and who ever finishes can run the pipe and trap to where it needs to be

Old 02-18-09, 03:27 AM
I agree with Dan on this one.

This is a common practice among plumbers to just leave a stub of pipe in the "AREA" of where the tub/shower drain should go and the next plumber will take it from there, when installing the fixture.