glue pvc when wet?

Old 02-18-09, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
glue pvc when wet?

I have to repair a broken 4" pvc drain line that drains rainwater from a flat rooftop drain through an interior part of a building and then on outside the building. Anyway, will I be able to glue fittings to the cut pipe while water continues to trickle through the line, or does everything need to be bone dry for the pvc cement to work right and seal up the joint(s)? Isn't there a special formulation of pvc cement I can get that will work with such situations?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Use Oatey's Rain'rShine cement. It comes in a light blue can and will allow you to connect the pipes as you describe. Ideally you want dry connections, but this glue works fine.

Old 02-18-09, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Use Oatey's Rain'rShine cement. It comes in a light blue can and will allow you to connect the pipes as you describe. Ideally you want dry connections, but this glue works fine.
I've been told that you can use rain or shine cement but if the water is running it may just push the cement out and you will still have a leak. As I mentioned previously, water will be continuing to trickle out of the line as I am trying to make the repair, and my goal of course would be to have leak-free joints when I'm done. If there's no such pvc cement that will work reliably for such a situation, I can probably just use rubber couplings.

Old 02-18-09, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shielded rubber couplings would be your best bet

Old 02-18-09, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree, if you can't stop or slow the water down to moisture level, a shielded fernco would be best.

Old 02-18-09, 04:32 PM
Two things:

Out of curiosity, does it always rain there? Melting snow? Or is something else going on, like the roof drain is also a drain for a rooftop cooling tower? You can't temporarily stop-up the roof drain?

What happened to the 4 inch pipe (or joint?), causing it to leak where it is?

Old 02-18-09, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Out of curiosity, does it always rain there? Melting snow? Or is something else going on, like the roof drain is also a drain for a rooftop cooling tower? You can't temporarily stop-up the roof drain? What happened to the 4 inch pipe (or joint?), causing it to leak where it is?
Good questions ecman. Yes it rains here most of the time, and yes it is also melting snow on the flat roof at this time. No cooling tower. The 4-inch drain pipe is connected to three separate roof drains of which are connected to the drain line which runs through the roof first and then for a rather considerably long horizontal distance, maybe 50 feet through a large unheated open-air building space (which gets to freezing temps sometimes, not good in itself) and then on out an exterior wall where it elbows to downspout which is also 4-inch pvc. I probably could have tried to temporarily stop up all the roof drains while making the repair, but with the situation not too certain I could have really managed to seal off the drains good enough for a long enough period of time. Anyway, the pipe was broken off right at the upper elbow cemented joint of the downspout I mentioned, right next to the outside of the exterior wall. Apparently during a recent freezing/thawing spell ice had build itself up at the bottom of the downspout and plugged the water from emptying, then the ice inside the downspout froze into a solid heavy ice mass of which the weight snapped the pvc off at the upper part of the downspout. Long story short I was able to use a few rubber couplings, build my new glued elbow with pvc stubs inside away from the trickling water, and connect the repaired parts together while the water trickled out. Probably will be considering re-routing the horizontal run somehow someday.

Old 02-19-09, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the explanation .

Ever see on some commercial business downspouts where they have those larger, more heavy duty metal square shaped ones, where the front facing is open?

Old 02-19-09, 08:53 PM
Ever see on some commercial business downspouts where they have those larger, more heavy duty metal square shaped ones, where the front facing is open?
No, not sure if I've ever noticed such a downspout as that with front facing open as you describe. Sounds like it might be a good application to replace my "problem downspout" that seems to have the tendency to plug up with ice if you don't watch out...
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Old 02-21-09, 06:54 AM
Fernco coupling would be my choice.

Old 02-21-09, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
No, not sure if I've ever noticed such a downspout as that with front facing open as you describe. Sounds like it might be a good application to replace my "problem downspout" that seems to have the tendency to plug up with ice if you don't watch out...
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
It is one of those type of things that when you see something like this, that is different from the norm, you wonder why the norm is the norm. I wind up talking to myself, with stuff like this.

Old 02-21-09, 02:42 PM
Lol ................

Old 02-21-09, 08:26 PM
It is one of those type of things that when you see something like this, that is different from the norm, you wonder why the norm is the norm. I wind up talking to myself, with stuff like this.
Hmm. Open-face downspouts, never seen or heard of such a thing until now.

Here's a rather relevant discussion I came across; note particularly the last comment in the thread. How can I prevent ice bursting my downspout? - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

All kinds of stuff about open-face downspouts when you start checking into it:
Industrial Downspout Open Face Version - Metal-Era
EXCEPTIONAL Metals - Roof Drainage Systems - Downspouts

Hmm. Now you got me wondering too why the norm is the norm.

Old 02-22-09, 02:40 PM
Before I clicked onto your second site, I was going to say that up in my parts, we also have problems with leaves/twigs. I see they mentioned that.

And even those powerful water jet devices that claim to blast leaves out of your gutter (as you hold it up vertically to over the gutter while you walk below), may only work when leaves are fresh and dry, at best. Once they become laden and intertwined in the gutter and are locked under those gutter supports, nothing short of manual extaction is going to get them out.