Toilet tank won't refill

Old 02-18-09, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet tank won't refill

Hi all,

I replaced my entire flush assembly with a Fluidmaster complete repair kit several months ago. Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now whenever the toilet is flushed the tank doesn't refill at all. If we remove the cover to the tank and tap the arm on top of the flush valve it will then fill the tank back up. What's causing this and how do we fix it? Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your chain should not be too tight. Check it and make sure there is some slack. Also, make sure you aren't using those cleaner tablets in the tank as they allow chunks to fall off and they can lodge against your flapper.

Old 02-19-09, 12:15 PM
The chain has slack and looks fine. We don't use the tablets so that wouldn't be causing any interference. It appears that the float on the valve assembly isn't dropping so no water is being sprayed from the refill tube unless I remove the tank cover and tap the arm of the flush valve. After I do that the water fills back into the tank. I am not sure what the problem is.

Old 02-19-09, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It may just be jamming as it fills up and lifts the arm. Make sure your water level height is adjusted correctly by sliding the float on the arm.

Turn the water off and flush the toilet, work the arm slowly by hand and see if there are any spots that rub or stick. Make sure no interference with the movement.

Manufacturing mistakes happen...you could probably call for a replacement.

Old 02-19-09, 01:42 PM
Toilet Prob.

bczar: If you don"t have any interference with your float it's probably your washer, remove top of valve [approx. 1/8 turn counter clockwise] remove washer and replace. Make sure you get the right washer to match your valve, they are not all the same

Before you put the washer in hold a can over the valve and turn your water on and off a couple times to flush out any debris. Luck.