kitchen sink drain problems

Old 02-18-09, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation kitchen sink drain problems

Recently I purchased condo on 4 th floor. Fairly new unit. As I ran a dish washer water started backing up in my sink . I removed the P trap it looked like there is no problem there ... Anybody any ideas whats is wrong with my draining system ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 02:48 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Is the dishwasher drain connected to a garbage grinder? If yes, the problem could be in the grinder unit. If no garbage grinder then you have a partial clog in the drain piping beyond the P-trap.

Partial clogs in kitchen sinks are usually grease, or food waste if you have the garbage grinder. Several gallons of very hot (140-170 degrees) might melt grease long enough to get it to the municipal sewer or you could try the long-term solution and use an enzyme drain cleaner. Many professional plumbers recommend Bio-Clean (do a Google search). It's not cheap but they state it is the best.

Old 02-18-09, 05:15 PM
Thank you ... dish washer is connected to the main drain p trap. I will try this Bio-Clean

Old 02-20-09, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you use the bio-clean for best results let the drain sit without use otherwise youll just wash it right on out.

never, never, never pour hot water down a drain suspected to have a grease blockage !!
all that will do is spread it out and make it much more difficult to clean the line. yeah it will move down the line but it will cool and resolidify before reaching the cities line, in most cases.

try cleaning a few of those lines before making suggestions like that. now a jetter service could easily take care of it for close to twice the price of a regular cable cleaning

Old 02-20-09, 02:54 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
never, never, never pour hot water down a drain suspected to have a grease blockage !!
all that will do is spread it out and make it much more difficult to clean the line. yeah it will move down the line but it will cool and resolidify before reaching the cities line, in most cases.
What works for some doesn't for others. I would prefer a thin, long coating of grease to a thick short clog. The enzyme cleaner will work better and faster in a thin layer of grease than it will in a thick mass of grease.

I might add that I would far prefer to work on a drain that had only hot water and/or enzyme cleaners run down it than to work on a drain that had acidic or caustic "drain cleaners" run through indiscriminately by some well meaning but unknowing homeowner. A renter would be even scarier since they will often try anything before notifying the landlord.

Old 02-23-09, 12:09 PM
I asked for bio-cleaner at Menard's and they don't have it. I purchased some enzyme based pipe cleaner. It seems like water is going down the pipe but very slow ... should I get more of this stuff or try a different product?