Hot water won't stop running

Old 02-19-09, 05:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water won't stop running

I recently replaced our old dishwasher, but found that I could not completely stop the hot water from trickling out of the original hot water supply. Upon finishing that project, I noticed one of the shut off valves was leaking under the sink. It was soldered, so I turned off the house water supply, including the hot water supply from the hot water heater, sweated out the old valve and soldered in a new one. Once everything was finished, the hot water will not stop running out of the kitchen sink! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance (since I KNOW you guys have an answer!)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 09:04 AM
S
If the hot water side of the kitchen faucet will not shut off it needs repair/rebuild.Hard to say if the valve replacement is an issue here or not.Could be some material from the job made it's way into the hot side and is either keeping the stem from sealing or has caused damage to the seat on that side.You could take it apart and try just cleaning it all up and see if that's enough then go from there and rebuild the faucet.Do both sides.

Old 02-19-09, 02:31 PM
It sounds just like david said, during the replacement of the valve under the sink, dirt,rust,and/or scale could have been forced into the faucet along with the possibility of flux and some old rubber washer from the old valve. You will need to take the kitchen sink faucet apart and most likely only need to clean it out, looking for any little black,brown, or white pieces to remove. If cleaning does not work because you cannot get into an area of the cartridge, you will need to replace the carteidge and or rubber seals. Make sure to clean out the aerator on the end of the spout when completed also.

Old 03-05-09, 08:45 PM
J
hot water bathroom sink runs by itself

A few weeks ago I was sitting here and heard water running, initially thinking it was my kids playing. To my surprise it wasn't the kids the hot water side of my bathroom sink just started running by itself. I checked to see if it was off and it was and just kept going. To stop it I went under the sink and shut it off at the line going up into the hot water at the wall...my problem is now if I want hot water from my sink I have to go under the sink and turn it on which is becoming a nuisance quick! I asked my father about it and he says "it's common with the hot water the valves go". or something in that nature. I am by far a plumber but I can figure things out if told what to do...any help would be GREATLY appreciated Oh yeah, I asked someone else and they told me that I had to replace the whole faucet which is ok...I just want the easy way out haha

Old 03-06-09, 08:39 AM
S
A lot depends on the design of the faucet.If it's an older conventional design I'd think most likely the washer on the end of the stem broke apart.The repair would be removal of the stem,replacement of the washer and inspection of it and the seat,the part the stem presses against,for any damage.If they are damaged then stem,seat or both need to be replaced.

If it's a newer style such as a Delta with cup like gaskets my thought is they have worn past being able to seal and the faucet needs a full rebuild.you'd need to know brand and maybe model and generally there are rebuild kits available.Some brands are easy to find and some are not.Every brand has a different design so the specifics are brand/model specific.Also with some,such as Delta,you may find a broken ball etc so buy the full complete kit with ball.