new tub's drain leaks

Old 02-20-09, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new tub's drain leaks

I have a new fiberglass tub and i put the overflow/drain in and filled it up. Everything was fine until I got in it. The drain is leaking into the basement. I am guessing that my weight is causing the fiber glass to flex inturn causing the leak. I have read to use putty and I have read to use silicone. Which is right? Can I putty the underside of the drain before I screw it in and silicone on top before i put the strainer in? What is the right way to stop this leak?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-09, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Don't use the silicone unless the tub manufacturer says so. Use plumber's putty rolled up into a line and install it under the flange of the drain. How are you installing the drain? There are tools to do it with, and they must be tight enough to press out the putty. Can you gain access to the underside of the installation in the basement? If so, let water run and see exactly where the leak it. It is possible the other connections could be loose as well. The weight of the water plus the weight of personnel may flex the fiberglas, but the drain moves with the fiberglas, so if it was installed properly it won't leak. Did you fortify the tub installation using thinset or cement as support under the body of the tub?