Old 02-20-09, 04:11 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help

I need to install a new faucet for my tub,the only problem is ,the ones on it has to be from when the house was built in 1940. It has tile walls,and no closet or door to get behind the wall. How do I get the plumbing inside the wall with out brecking the tile and with the least bit of trouble. I am so new at this. The new handles do not fit the old. the screws are so much longer and thinner on the new ones....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 06:49 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 36
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is on the reverse side of the wall that holds your faucet?

Built in 1940, I would assume a complete replacement is in order. Replacing a section of sheetrock on opposite side would be easy, but built in 1940, I would assume you have lathe and plaster.

If I had no other way to access body for faucet, I would carefully remove wall around faucet, trying not to damage tile. However, in the real world, this is not easy. My solution would be to find a color, or white, and replace tile with design or make strip all around tub.

Better still would be get rid of tile and put in nice surround.
Old 02-23-09, 12:49 AM
plumbermandan's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 897
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the only way if no other access is through the tiled wall. it is ugly but you could use a smitty-plate to hide the hole in th wall. here is one place to get them just go to the bottom of this page Escutcheons and smitty plates -

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: