Basement Pipes rattle when turning water off

Old 02-21-09, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Pipes rattle when turning water off

Hey gang...

I've had a problem pop up recently that I thought you might be able to help me with...

Whenever I turn off my kitchen sink or the toilet finishes filling, etc, the pipes in my basement rattle for a second or so. It seems to do this with the hot and cold water but most apparent with the hot..

I went down to watch it happening and I noticed that its occurring at the outlet pipe from my water heater. thats where the rattle is most prominent.

Is there perhaps air in the lines somewhere? Its only been happening for about a month or so.

Any help is appreciated.

Thx

Fish

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 08:29 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did one of the straps that holds the pipe in place come lose? Look along the joist or the wall. Shake it a little. See where it moves.

Old 02-21-09, 08:43 PM
thx for the reply... Not that I can see. There's a bit of a thud when the water stops as well.

Old 02-21-09, 08:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Old 02-21-09, 08:58 PM
that definitely sounds like it. I'm gonna give it a try and report back. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-21-09, 09:33 PM
well I gave that a shot but it didnt seem to work. I went downstairs and studied more closely where the thump is occurring. It seems to be the main water line after it passes the main valve in my house. not at the hot water heater.

I tried shutting the main valve and opening all the faucets... I did this a few times... it didnt solve the problem unfortunately.

One question.. when I open all the faucets and let them drain, should I close them again before turning the main valve on? or should I leave them open and open the main valve? I tried both but nothing really helped.

I really don't have any other valves around the house. So shutting the main valve is my only hope. The only other ones are the ones before my hot water heater and some newer plumbing for my basement bathroom and laundry. nothign that kills updstairs where the problem occurs from.

Thanks

Last edited by fishnyc22; 02-21-09 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-21-09, 11:12 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
One question.. when I open all the faucets and let them drain, should I close them again before turning the main valve on? or should I leave them open and open the main valve?
Definitely close them before opening the main valve. The problem may be that you don't have any air chambers or it may be that as I have read from professional plumbers that air chambers don't work anyway because the air that is trapped is soon absorbed by the water and the air chamber is then completely filled with water.

I have large air chambers on my laundry sink and both bathtub faucets (two bathrooms) and I have no water hammer problems. Of course what I have may have no bearing at all to what you have. You might try getting some of the mechanical water hammer arresters from the local big box mega home center and installing them on your laundry supply valves and see if it makes a difference.