install of black pipe gas line....

Old 02-22-09, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
install of black pipe gas line....

I am going to run about 12 ft. of black pipe gas line from a 100 lb propane tank to gararge heater and needed to know what to use on threaded pipe joints, is there a special type of teflon tape or can I use teflon? or something else thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 12:23 PM
Gas Pipe

mailman62: You can use tape if it is for gas, [tinted yellow] or any pipe compound that dosen't say it can't be used with propane.

I assume that the heater you want to hook up is for propane or it will need to be modified, different orifice and regulator. Luck.

Old 02-22-09, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One thing...I have read on here (i'm pretty sure) that some localities require joint compound, not tape. Don't hold me to that, but it would be worth checking.

I may be thinking of something else....steam piping maybe?

Old 02-23-09, 05:38 AM
I have always used the compound in a can for gas applications. It usually comes with its own applicator in the cap for easy use.

Shacko is correct also; make sure you have the correct orifice for propane, as it is different than a natural gas feed.

Also you want to make sure you put in a certified shut of for gas in the line for future access of heater unit and soap each joint when connected to make sure no leaks. Gas is something you do not want to be careless with. The consequences could be fatal.