wall pipe adapter

Old 02-22-09, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wall pipe adapter

I've just found out that my p-trap assembly for my bathroom sink is 1 1/2" and the copper/brass wall pipe is a male threaded 1 1/4". Is there any kind of adapter available that would allow the connection of a larger p-trap diameter to a smaller wall pipe diameter? This is an exposed installation and the sink p-trap has a special finish to match the faucets, which is why I'm not just purchasing a smaller trap. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
For a bathroom, the normal drain size is 1 1/4", so starting at your sink, replace all the 1 1/2" piping including the ptrap with 1 1/4". That way the pipe size will match all the way through. Someone adapted it up to 1 1/2" to begin with, all you will be doing is taking it back down to where it needs to be.

Old 02-22-09, 02:28 PM
:confused:

Thank you for your response, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. My drain body pipe is 1 1/4" and there is an adapter to fit into the 1 1/2" p-trap drain assembly. This is not a problem. The problem is connecting this p-trap where it extends to connect to a wall pipe that is 1 1/4". I can't just scrap my p-trap assembly because it's a specialty finish that was not cheap to purchase. It's a bathroom sink p-trap assembly for exposed sink applications, so I can't imagine that there's not a way to connect somehow at the wall...

Old 02-22-09, 06:38 PM
If I understand you correctly, you have a 1 1/4" trap adapter (desanco) sticking out of the wall and you have an 1 1/2" trap fro the fixture.

Is the sink a pedestal? If it is any kind of lav sink it should only be 1 1/4" drain on the sink and then you increase to 1 1/2" p-trap. I cannot think off the top of my head a way to reduce the size of the trap to the trap adapter and make it look good also. Your best bet is to return the wrong size trap and order the correct size. The only other thing I can think of would be to replace some of the 1 1/4" drain in the wall or below the floor and then change it to 1 1/2". But doing this is also against code. You should replace the complete 1 1/4" drain then all will be well.

Old 02-22-09, 08:31 PM
You should not reduce a drain - it creates the perfect place for clogs to occur. You should go with the advice above and exchange/purchase a 1" p-trap in the correct finish.