Need help with under the counter front load washer hook-up

Old 02-22-09, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with under the counter front load washer hook-up

About 5 years ago I installed new front load washing machine and matching dryer. These tops on these models where removable to allow for stacking or under the counter installation. I opted to do a bit of remodeling and extended the counter on the laundry room sink next to the washer over the washer and drying. Before installing the new counter I moved the hookup box and electrical outlet lower so that both would be below the new counter.

I had one close call awhile back when the solenoid on the washer didn't close and nearly flooded the laundry room. Luckily we spotted the high water level through the glass door on the washer, shut off the main in the basement (since the original shutoff valves were now behind the washer and under the counter - basically inaccessible unless the washer is pulled out) and pumped the water back out by manually advancing the cycle.

Since then I have been trying to come up with a creative solution to add some sort of shutoff mechanism above the counter. But I have found a ready made solution.

One though I had was to install heavier duty 110v normally closed solenoids on the water lines in the wall behind the washer and then wire them to a switch above the counter top. Still its a solenoid that could fail, but I have more faith in that solenoid rather than the light-duty ones on the washing machines.

Any other ideas? Basically I want to turn off the the water to the washing machine when its not in use, and have a way to turn it off in the event of a leak. I'm aware of the Water Cop and I might install that unit as well to cover leaks when its run attended.

I'm curious what new installations do with these current front loading washing machines that sit on pedestals - I would think these typically also block access to the shutoff valves as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 12:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you might be able to use something like this

PlumbingSupply.com - FloodSafe Water detector shutoff by Watts