Gas Line BBQ and Firepit trouble

Old 02-23-09, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Line BBQ and Firepit trouble

Recenlty has a bbq and firepit installed in back of house. The gas line is 1/2 and runs from the back of house (pre-installed 1/2 inch stub on back of house), which we tapped into to run the lines to the bbq and firepit.

Trouble: The gas company came out after we called because of low pressure in our bbq and firepit. They said we should have tapped into the main gas line on side of house, which as a bigger pipe for greater volume and then installed larger pipe from it, under ground to the applicances.

Question:

If I do this. How big should the pipe be that I run underground and how far or close to the bbq and firepit should i be before i step down the pipe to the existing 1/2 near the bbq and firepit?

Additional Info:

The main gas line on the side of the house is 90 feet away from the firepit, and 110 feet from the bbq.

Before the gas company left, they installed a larger meeting, but that didnt help. They said I have weak output to becasue im pulling the gas from the 1/2 on the back of the house, which is pretty weak because that gas comes from the piping inside of the hosue after its worked its way through so much pipe.

Any help or suggestions anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
well they are mostly correct. a gas line is sized according to the total length of pipe from the meter to the farthest appliance and the load it will have to handle. that means that from the meter to at least the first appliance the pipe will be bigger than at the end going to the last appliance. 1/2" pipe is usually used only to run gas to an appliance like the fire place and is not a long run. adding a 1/2" x 100' line to the end of the house run will give you very little volume.this will result in a lot less pressure even though most gas appliances run off of ounces of pressure.

run a 1" line to the fire pit and then 3/4" to the bbq reducing at the appliances/fixtures and all will be well

Old 02-24-09, 10:50 PM
THanks for the advice.

THe firepit and bbq island are already set on a new slab of concrete, with the 1/2 piping under it.

However, I'm able to run whatever size piping you think I can all the way from the main meter and meet up with the existing 1/2 inch line under my lawn, which is about 10 feet to the firepit and 30 feet to the bbq.

Do you think this would work? To run about 60 feet of 2 inch piping and then connect it up to the existing 1/2 inch already underground near the pit and bbq without having to tear up the concrete?

Old 02-25-09, 08:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it may work but there are rules to running a gas line under concrete!

what are you gonna do if there is a leak? by the time you smell it it may be to late!