pvc to cast iron hub

Old 02-27-09, 04:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pvc to cast iron hub

i want to connect pvc to the 3 inch cast iron cleanout hub to plumb the clotheswasher. how do i do this? can i get a threaded nipple that will screw into the threads and then use a coupler ? some other way? thanks

Old 02-27-09, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You could cut the threads off one end of a nipple so you have smooth pipe on one end and threads on the other. Screw the threaded end into your cast iron cleanout and use a rubber boot over the smooth end to connect to your new PVC. You could also cut off the cast iron cleanout fitting and use a reduction rubber boot over the cast iron pipe.

Old 02-27-09, 08:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention the obvious. You can thread PVC into the cast iron cleanout if the threads are in decent condition. Make sure you install a cleanout in your new PVC since you are killing the old cleanout.

Old 02-27-09, 09:38 AM
B
thanks for the reply pilotdane, the thread pitch on the pvc is different than the cleanout thread i think , i take it there is not some special adapter with the same threads available?

otherwise you are saying to cut off like the last inch of the cast iron hub which flares out and slide a rubber coupling boot over it?

Old 02-27-09, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
no plumbing code i know of allows you to tie onto a clean out to install more plumbing. it can be dome as long as the clean out is still there but is probably more work and harder than you expected.

if you are going to cut anything you need to cut the whole bell off install the sanitary tee and install another clean out fitting the run your pipe and dont forget about venting

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: