What type pipe/fittings for acid water?

Old 02-25-09, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What type pipe/fittings for acid water?

Hi folks Ė

I have a question about brass fittings and acid water. I have very acidic well water Ė ph 5.5. Iím going through a learning process now and Iím going to add something to the house to fix the low ph problem. I have copper piping in the house. But last year my well service pipe broke open. No water. It was a very old galv steel pipe 20 feet long. I dug it up and replaced it with the black polyethylene pipe, the only type used in my area these days.

I used a brass fitting for the black poly pipe coming in the basement to the brass check valve. The fitting has a hose barb on one end and MIP on the other end. I heard brass was better than plastic so I used a brass fitting.

But Iíve been thinking that maybe I should have used a plastic fitting since my well water is so acidic and I wonít be treating the water until itís past the brass fitting and past the brass check valve. Matter of fact, should I really even be using a brass check valve in this case? Iíve seen stainless steel check valves. I know those are more expensive, but is that the right thing to do? Does brass corrode from the acid water like copper?

Does anyone know what type pipe is normally used for acid water up to the point of treatment? The only thing I can think of would be cpvc/pex. Didnít check yet to see if cpvc/pex is allowed in my township. But if cpvc/pex not allowed how about stainless steel? I know thatís real big bucks.( Yea- probably ridiculous idea!)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
usually pvc would be ran till just inside the house but if you havent had a problem with the copper leaking then i dont think brass would be a problem and if it is it woould take years for anything to leak

Old 02-28-09, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks plumbermandan -

I havenít had problems with the copper. I was hoping and guessing that it may take a real long time for brass to be a problem. I was really hoping someone very knowledgeable would say that. So thanks!