Tub Drain pop up parts

Old 02-25-09, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Tub Drain pop up parts

According to the pictures I've found, I have a plunger drain in my daughters bathtub. House is 50 years old. The plunger seems to get stuck. I've taken it out and put it back in. It looks ok but will NOT stay in either the up or down position.
Is this a part that I can somehow fix/clean? whatever it needs? or is there a replacement part for the whole thing and if so, is it sold altogether?
I'm tired of my daughter using my shower. Please help if you can.

Thank you thank you thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try removing the guts and cleaning thoroughly, then add some plumbers grease to the plunger. Adjust the linkage rods as needed to lengthen or shorten and cause the plunger to work. I have never had good luck with replacing just the plunger, you will be better off replacing the whole drain unit if the cleaning and fresh grease do not work.

Old 02-26-09, 03:45 AM
Thanks for your reply. I had read about cleaning and then using 'heatproof' grease on it. that had me stumped until you just called it plumbers grease. I've cleaned the stuff and will get some plumbers grease on the way home. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will work.
I'm afraid that if I have to replace the whole unit I'll have to call someone in to do it as I'll be trying to hook up to what is probably copper lines. Can PVC hook up directly to non-PVC pipes?
I'm sure willing to give it a try and appreciate your suggestion.

Old 02-26-09, 04:08 AM
Good Morning Mary,

Typically, tub drains are installed using what is called slip joint connections and pvc can be married to copper or brass using this type connection. If that is not the way your system is piped, sometimes the use of a clamped rubber connector will work as a connection fitting.

Old 02-26-09, 08:17 AM
Ah Relief

There's hope then that I can accomplish this if the grease thing doesn't work out.
Thanks so much

Old 02-27-09, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
usually i just replace the "drain' part with a lift n turn drain and install a blank overflow plate.

this is what i would use

Old 03-04-09, 09:15 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'd love to replace the drain but it didn't need it. (Why do more on this task when there's so many that need to be done?) Turns out that it was the overflow plate that was the problem. I replaced just that part and it's working great!