Problem with drainage of water

Old 02-27-09, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with drainage of water

Water from washing machine during spin cycle goes to tub. Just today I noticed when under crawl space that water appeared to be leaving (in proximity of) tub drain and going direct onto the ground in crawl space. Wondering if something connected to tub drain needs to be replaced (I can gain access if I need to by making an opening through wall board inside linen closet). It's (now) pretty obvious that for some time tub water and washing machine water have been going onto the ground under house. House is 30 years old, and this is first time there has been a problem with plumbing.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 08:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What kind of tub is it and why can't you see it without going through the closet?

Old 02-28-09, 04:28 AM
American Standard tub

I believe all the plumbing stuff that was installed was by manufacturer American Standard. The reason I can't see the tub drain is because tub is "enclosed", and it seems that the only way to get to piping would be from below it (from crawl space) or from the linen closet (by cutting out some of the wall board....the on/off/shower controls are in the wall). A quick look from crawl space looked like drainage piping (vapor thingy?) for tub isn't accessible from underneath the house but has to be gotten to from other side of wall (i.e., linen closet). Thanks.

Old 02-28-09, 07:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If that's the only way to see the leak, then open the wall.

Old 03-01-09, 03:42 PM
Thanks

Thanks, Pulpo, will do! I figured my problem may have been due to venting or trap issues, but sure seems to be a pipe gone bad and nothing quite as technical as what I was thinking. One thing is certain: let water into tub and it goes below onto dirt. Apparently washing machine drains through same pipe...dern pipe is only 38 years young, not 30 as I said earlier.

Old 03-02-09, 07:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
sounds like there may be a restriction in the piping in the ground since the washer should not go into the tub unless that is where you place the drain house for the washer