Blocked Drain Line

Old 02-27-09, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blocked Drain Line

I am attempting to clear a long, low angle drain line of a toilet tissue stoppage that is apparently impacted pretty tightly.

I have driven a 3/8" power snake (Super Vee) cable down the 3 1/2" drain line with cutters (1 1/2") and a bulbous head to no noticeable benefit. Although the drain seems to be passing a little more water than when the blockage first occurred, I am not getting the kind of progress I expected. Fortunately, there is an alternate bathroom down the line.

I'm am going back after it tomorrow with the arrow head to see if I can bore through and ream off material from the other side of the stoppage.

Anybody have any suggestions besides calling a rooter? (I may resort to that ultimately).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a 1.5" drain line from a kitchen sink that packs up every 5-8 years or so.

I cut that line near either end, and then again a half inch from one of the other cuts. That allows me to remove the entire section a clean it. Then I replace it using a couple of rubber couplings.

Takes me about 15 minutes to do the whole job now.

If you have access to much of the plugged up pipe, that might be an approach you'd want to consider.

Old 02-27-09, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
I have a 1.5" drain line from a kitchen sink that packs up every 5-8 years or so.

I cut that line near either end, and then again a half inch from one of the other cuts. That allows me to remove the entire section a clean it. Then I replace it using a couple of rubber couplings.

Takes me about 15 minutes to do the whole job now.

If you have access to much of the plugged up pipe, that might be an approach you'd want to consider.
This is a 3 1/2" cast iron line that is partially buried, under the house, in a 24" crawl space. The blockage could be in any part of the 35' section.

After getting this stoppage cleared, I plan to cut the line and install a special clean out branch where I could insert a high pressure hose and nozzle to occasionally flush the line.