What to do with a broken packing nut?

Old 02-28-09, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with a broken packing nut?

The valve was leaking and I tightened the packing nut too tight and broke it. I am completely new to this. Is there an easy fix or will I have to replace the whole valve? Thank you.[IMG] Here's a photo.

[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-09, 07:24 PM
You will almost certainly never find a replacement for the packing nut on that valve.It doesn't look like too hard a job and the valve looks in not the best condition.A new one will only be around 6 -8 dollars.

Those type of valves are all imported if it was made even as far back as the 60's.there is no standardization on the sizing of the parts such as the packing nut so swapping from another valve is out.

Old 02-28-09, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I busted a packing nut on a gate valve in my heating system earlier in the year.. just below the packing nut is the 'body nut' (?.. i dunno, i just made that up..).. and I could unscrew it and remove the whole gate valve guts. I thought I was smart, went to the local store.. got the exact same valve.. brought it home.. took it apart.. dang if the thread size wasnt different on that 'body nut'..

And that was an 8 yr old part. That valve of yours looks older. Ya never know, you might get lucky.. but as I found out, and as spdavid said.. they just keep changing those offshore parts on us.

Old 02-28-09, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
You will almost certainly never find a replacement for the packing nut on that valve.It doesn't look like too hard a job and the valve looks in not the best condition.A new one will only be around 6 -8 dollars.

Those type of valves are all imported if it was made even as far back as the 60's.there is no standardization on the sizing of the parts such as the packing nut so swapping from another valve is out.
How do I replace it? Is there any sodering involved or will I just unscrew it? Thanks for your response.

Old 03-01-09, 10:07 AM
That is a threaded boiler drain you're dealing with.

They make 1/4 turn boiler drains that you can screw into that 1/2" IPS connection into the water supply and never mess with this type of problem again.

Or what you already have,

The 1/4 turn valves are by far, a better product for longevity of use.

Old 03-01-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. Problem solved.