blueprints

Old 03-01-09, 11:31 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
blueprints

I do some maintenace and repair work at a facility that used to be a community college, constructed probably in later 70's. In a storage cabinet are probably 100 or so various rolled-up blueprints and building schematics for the place, kept over the years from the beginning and throughout various remodels and additions, etc. What I might be particulary interested in, before taking a lot of time unrolling them all to look at all of them, would be whether there's a good chance there would be helpful plumbing diagrams here, and how detailed they might get in regard to specific supply line routings, shutoff valves, etc. Is it typical for commercial-type buildings/facilities to have such as I mention, and if so what are these drawings actually called or referred as? Just "plumbing blueprints"? Any comments/advice in this regard appreciated.

Old 03-02-09, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
they will give you an idea of what is ran where and how but that is about it since they are just a general guide for installing the mechanical, electrical and plumbing in a building

Old 03-03-09, 06:51 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The engineering diagrams will be marginally useful. There will be some details, but not so much as to how things are run, only size requirements, etc. Also, as you probably know, throughout all construction projects there are changes upon changes upon changes. So even though that drawing may state something, chances are it may have been installed differently.

If you have as-builts (marked up drawings) are often more telling as they are 'edited' to include most if not all changes.

It really depends on what you're looking to get out of them. It's probably a good project to go through them, mark and sort them in some way so they could be found again if needed.

Old 03-03-09, 07:08 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I was told the following quite helpful information about building blueprints:

The first sheets will normally be the "civil drawings" showing everything outside the buildings. Then the architectural sheets showing the building construction and details. Then the mechanical prints starting with E-1 electrical, then P-1 plumbing, and finally the M sheet for the mechanical, i.e., heating/cooling.

So I'm at least gonna sort through the pile of rolled up prints and see if I can get them into order like that...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: