Water flows into hot water line

Old 03-13-09, 11:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water flows into hot water line

Had to replace a water heater. Shut off the cold water inlet valve to drain tank. As water drained, I heard water flowing back in through the hot water out line. At first I thought it was draining pipes from 2nd story but it continued.
Finally had to turn off supply to house to stop it.

What could cause water from house supply to be flowing into hot water line?

Old 03-13-09, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
a single handle valve allowing cold water to cross over to the hot side most likely

Old 03-15-09, 06:53 AM
M
sounds like you have a bad shutoff valve on cold line, or else water pressure would not be allowed to flow through to the hot side. shut main water line off, open some fixtures to relieve pressure, and install a new ball valve. no need to put a valve on hot side of line because if your cold valve works, no pressure will be able to feed through to the hot side.

Old 03-15-09, 06:58 AM
M
sorry, read your problem wrong. you have water pushing down through hot not up through your tank. follow lines and see if you have a cross conection.

Old 03-15-09, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by M.A.D.
sorry, read your problem wrong. you have water pushing down through hot not up through your tank. follow lines and see if you have a cross conection.
and what do think think i was telling them? the most likely cross connection is in a single handle faucet unless they have a recirculation system

Old 03-16-09, 05:43 PM
M
i appologized for my misreading. no need to quote me. sounds like someone gets a little jeolous. we are all here to help eachother, not fight over who is wrong and right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: