drain outlet pipe in wall not screwed in

Old 03-15-09, 12:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question drain outlet pipe in wall not screwed in

in the bathroom, the drain outlet pipe (PVC) that runs from the sink U-bend into the wall is not connected to the drain pipe inside the wall. Well, its stuck into the other pipe (inside the wall), to make a connection, but you can pull it right out and put it in again--no connector or threading attached it. you can feel it going into another pipe, but thats it.
is this ok? that's apparently how it has alway been for our house, and we've had no problems, water drains fine, and not leaking into our walls or under the house or anything. I only recently found I could take the pipe out when I had the bathroom retiled and the sink replaced...

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, because I'm concerned about it. it seems like there should be a real attachment (usualy to a T-pipe within the wall) involving threads, screwing in, etc.

thanks!

Old 03-15-09, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Plastic or metal piping? You wouldn't be the first person that a plumber forgot to glue a joint.

Or the first person that a prior owner didn't know what he was doing.

Old 03-15-09, 12:46 PM
S
The situation depends on whether your sink trap is all conventional PVC or is plastic drainage pipe into a PVC pipe in the wall.

How much clearance does the pipe going in have?If it's tight and close then maybe it's slip pvc glued all the way to the pop up,if it has a bit of play then it's drainage into pvc which means the adapter was not installed.What would go there is an adapter glued in place with a slip joint nut on the other end that seals the connection and holds the smaller drainage pipe into the pipe.It would need to have either an 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 slip joint nut or have the adapter washer/spacer to reduce an 1 1/2in.

Old 03-15-09, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
to add to spdavid's comment if it is pvc going into copper you could just get a grey rubber coupling, sold at bigbox stores, and attach the pipes with it, but having it slip in and out with nothing to hold it will be a problem if the drain backs up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: