pvc glue

Old 03-27-09, 09:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pvc glue

We are installing PVC piping undaer our kitchen sink. We are having a problem with the glue sticking. we are trying to attach the plastic piece that goes on the end of the pipe. We prime it and the pipe first let it dry then apply the glue but it wont stick. We have tried three different glues. Can anybody give us an idea whats goig wrong here? thanks Nangon

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
PVC pipe..white? thick wall or thin?

Are you using actual PVC glue? In a can with a brush on the end?

Old 03-27-09, 11:36 AM
N
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
PVC pipe..white? thick wall or thin?

Are you using actual PVC glue? In a can with a brush on the end?
Yes it is the thin white thin wall. It's the washer that won't stick. yes the glue is for pvc pipes according to Home depot and Lowes. thanks

Old 03-27-09, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Thin wall PVC (you can squeeze and flex the pipe) is not designed to be glued. I'm not even sure if it's really the same material as the 10 ft sections of thick wall stuff.

The thin stuff is sealed at the joints by threaded connections and washers, either beveled or rubber. The beveled washers are nylon or similar I believe and glue will not hold.

You will probably need to redo what you have tried to clean and glue, doubt if they will seal correctly now.

What kind of pipe is coming out of the wall or floor? You will need to attach a threaded portion to that if there isn't one (called a trap adapter) and then redo the drain piping.

If you can't find knowlegable help at HD or Lowes (hard to do sometimes, I know), I'd suggest you visit a local hardware store with pictures of your existing setup. If you have the old piping, take it with you.

Old 03-27-09, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If this is the drain system for your sink, you don't glue it at all. The system is made to be removed for cleaning or other maintenance. The washers and nuts are made to screw to the next piece and compress the washer for a water tight fit. Let us know exactly what you are trying to glue.

Old 03-27-09, 01:04 PM
S
The word "washer" tells me you are trying to glue something that is not glued.

PVC drainage piping uses washers in conjunction with slip joint nuts to seal and is specifically designed not to be permanently sealed.The seal is formed by toghtening the nut to compress the washer to form the seal.

Frankly I don't understand how you got to a point of thinking you had to glue this together.No saleshelp with even a slight knowledge of plumbing would have instructed you to glue drainage pipe and no packaging of any parts would have instructed it either.

Old 03-27-09, 01:50 PM
PVC Glueing

"No saleshelp with even a slight knowledge of plumbing would have instructed you to glue drainage pipe"

spdavid: Info. only. you wouldn't believe how many (PLUMBERS?) I seen over the years that glued sch. 40 solid under a kitchen sink! Like Larry the Cable Guy says. "they can't even spell samich".

Old 03-27-09, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
I was wondering when someone was going to bring it up. I've seen plenty of Sch 40 drains. Matter of fact I'd consider it a plus. As long as the trap can be unscrewed, there shouldn't be any problem, and its much less likely to leak, be punctured, or damaged.

I know, you guys were probably referring to solid glued all the way from wall to sink.

Nangon..sorry we got off track a bit.

Old 03-27-09, 03:21 PM
S
That's not what I meant.We've all seen glued pvc drains.

What I meant was the gluing of drainage pvc like j-bends and p-traps...the thin wall nut and washer type.

Old 03-27-09, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Gotcha david...you were clear in your post. Just the statement "no drains under the sink should be glued" (paraphrasing of course) could be confusing to a newbie.

Trying to clarify for Nangon

Old 03-27-09, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you could post a picture of what you are trying to cement togther we could give more specific information.

as the others have mentioned the word washer sounds like you are trying to "glue" a slip joint fitting and pipe which is not how that is done. if you are trying to "glue" the adapter to the pipe coming out of the wall you might have the wrong "glue" or it may be that you are letting the primer dry before applying the "glue"