Washing machine drain backs up at standpipe

Old 03-28-09, 09:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine drain backs up at standpipe

Hello

My washing machine has been overflowing at the standpipe. Oddly, this only happens once in a while although more frequently now.

I've oped the standpipe, ran through it with a manual auger and found no clogs (which is always the case). The drainpipe that the standpipe is connected to also serves the dishwasher and kitchen sink above, and both of them drain with no problem.

I've read a bunch of other threads on this problem and some said the 1.5 diameter pipe is probably too small (in absence of a clog), but if that were the case, wouldn't this problem be constant?

Does the washing machine pump have some type of regulator? If so, would a malfunction potentially cause the pump to push the water out too hard? I may be reaching here, but I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what the heck is wrong here.

Thanks.

Tim

Old 03-28-09, 10:13 AM
S
I'm betting what you have is a gradually increasing build up of lint.You auger is probably either going right through the middle of it or is poking through and the lint isn't much of a resistance but more likely there is a lint build up that is restricting water flow more and more.

Because lint is a mixture of materials not all drain cleaners are effective and it can be a experimental situation.Enzyme products don't always work very well since lint is partially synthetic.

You can try chemicals but they'll probably just run through and not do much.Acids are more effective but it's acid which carries a host of issues.

One possibility is a "drain king" which is a hose attachment that swells up to fill in the drain pipe then blasts out high powered water.As long as the piping is in good condition and there is an outlet for excess pressure somewhere else in the system,likely,then it's maybe worth a try.

Ultimately though it might be worth having the line professionally opened.Considering everything like how long it took to get to this point you might be good after that for years.

Old 03-28-09, 11:53 AM
M
Thanks.

I ran out to two local hardware stores to look for the drain king. One was out of stock and the other only had one size that was too large, so I'm back to square one. Home Depot didn't have it on their website so I don't think they carry it.

Old 03-28-09, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Some HD stores carry it. Prob depends on the area, and it may be on a clip strip on a beam. Normally right near the drain cleaners and snakes.

Old 03-28-09, 01:02 PM
M
I went to a 3rd hardware store and they had one that was for the 1.5 inch pipe but I haven't tried it yet. How powerful is this thing? I'm a little worried that it might break the standpipe.

Tim

Old 03-28-09, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It won't be anymore powerful (pressurewise) than the water pressure in the house. It just builds the velocity of the water jet by the way it works.

If your pipes are glued correctly..no problem.

Old 03-28-09, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the drain king should not break the stand pipe but it also will not be effective since it sends out a high pressure stream it will only poke a hole through a clog.

my biggest worry is how your plumbing is installed since you say fixtures above also drain into the same line as the washing machine. this can be done but only if the piping is installed in a certain way.

you need this drain cleaned with a professional powered drain machine that you can buy but runs in the neighborhood of $500+. it would be best to have a professional do it since some drains and clogs take a little finesse which comes with experience in cleaning drains

Old 03-28-09, 02:12 PM
M
I guess I'll have a pro come in and clean this pipe the right way.

As far as the piping is concerned, the house was built in 1949 and as far as I know, the plumbing is original. The pipe where my stand pipe is connected runs almost horizontally across and then turns at about 45 degrees and goes up through the ceiling into the kitchen wall. The sink drain goes into the wall and runs into that same vertical pipe (I ran some water into the kitchen sink when I had the trap open downstairs to confirm it). The dishwasher was added at some later date and they ran the drain hose right to the copper drain pipe under the sink. Everything seems to work fine.

Old 03-28-09, 03:08 PM
S
It is very possible piping of that age is galvanized steel if original.You could have a rust build up situation where the steel pipe rusts from the inside gradually filling the pipe and restricting flow.

If this is the case there are no quick or easy fixes.

At this point I would have a pro come in and assess the situation.I would not try any form of clog opening yourself as if it is galvanized with rust inside the pipe can become weakened and attempts to unclog can create leakage etc.

If you can see any of this pipe and it looks like heavy metal then it is steel.

Old 03-29-09, 06:51 AM
M
Is there a way to post a picture on here?

Old 03-29-09, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mully View Post
Is there a way to post a picture on here?
yeah, you can load the picture to a free hosting site such as photobucket.com then just copy the img url and post it in here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: