Capping off 4" plastic corrugated drainage pipe.

Old 04-06-09, 05:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Capping off 4" plastic corrugated drainage pipe.

I have a 4" corrugated plastic drainage pipe I need to seal off. I put a 4" snap end cap on it and water still leaks out around the pipe. Is there another type of fitting to use or a particular way to use the snap end cap (where to cut the pipe, etc)?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 09:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
what is this piping for? normally corrugated pipe is used for ground and storm water drainage. i dont mess with it that much but depending on how much piping you are trying to cap , you may never get it to stop leaking

Old 04-06-09, 09:51 AM
S
It does sound like black corrugated drain pipe and those pop on caps are not designed to seal completely.Using an adapter to adapt to PVC might allow you to glue on a PVC cap but the adapter may well leak.

You could load up the cap with sealant and try to stop leakage that way but it would probably take a lot to do it.Put the cap on then run a heavy bead around the edges.Silicone and various gasket makers etc would worth the try.

Old 03-22-10, 04:33 PM
C
Well this is an old question but in case anyone shows up here with the same problem: What I use is pond liner repair tape available from a lot of Water Gardening stores (the single sided tape not the two sided seam tape). It is 4 inches wide and stretchy with a water-proof adhesive. I cut enough to wrap around the 4 inch pipe and fitting about 85 percent and stretch it the rest of the way then seal it to itself. I only use two inches wide of the tape so I cut it in half length wise. The tape forms a very good seal - I'm not sure if it is totally water tight but any drips are small enough not to be visible on top of soil. At any rate it works better than trying to fill the gap between the cap/fitting with caulk or other sealant.