connecting existing lead water supplyto copper

Old 04-08-09, 09:11 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connecting existing lead water supplyto copper

Hello Readers,
I'm looking for some additional input and I would appreciate any comments.I have had very helpful input in the past.
I need to make a connection from a 1"(or could be 7/8) lead , water supply line to a 1" copper(tyke k) that will be in ground.
The point where the connection will be made is where the lead pipe just enters the house.At some future time,the lead pipe outside of the house wll be replaced.
The plumber that came out to look at the work recommended that a flare connection is the best way to address this situation.
Does this sound right?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
although it could be lead i seriously doubt that it is. it is more likely galvanized steel.

i have no clue what difference a flared joint and fitting would be compared to regular mip or fip fittings unless it really is a lead line you are attaching to and if it is that should be your first priority to get replaced. lead water lines havent been installed in 50-75 years and is a major health concern. if the line is galvanized then malable brass fittings and a brass nipple at least 6" long should be used.

you say this line will be underground but then you say it will be connected where the line enters the house. you do not have a basement? type k copper is very expensive. your area does not allow pex piping ?

Old 04-10-09, 06:02 AM
W
response:pipe replacement

Thanks for the info.
Im here in Chicago and it is a flexible,thick-wall,lead water supply line.It is a 100yr old house that has been vacant for some time now.I'll do work on it as resources dictate.I really dont have a timetable.
The water supply line is buried.I had to dig-up the dirt floor in the basement and follow the pipe to where it entered the house.The pipe was leaking water and I cut the pipe and plugged it temporarily.For the time being,I want to connect the existing lead,supply line to the copper(I already have it).
In the future,I plan on accesing the lead pipe on the exterior and replacing that as well.
I just want to make sure that what the plumber is telling me is the best course of action.
Again,thanks for youre input.