cutting gas pipe

Old 04-15-09, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting gas pipe

I'm moving my stove and need to install a tee in a gas line. The pipe is about 15' long and is in the middle of a complicated run. I want to cut the pipe below where I need to install the stove. I'll unscrew both ends of the cut pipe and get the longest piece threaded. I'll install the T and add a union and small pieces of pipe to complete the run. The main question I have it how to cut the pipe -- sawzall, hacksaw? Also, any precautions to consider after I shut off the gas main? I'll open some valves and bleed the system first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-09, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Sawzall is the best way. Hacksaw will work, but will give you quite a workout. Make sure you turn the gas off completely and give it a few minutes to bleed. With such little pressure in the line, you shouldn't have any problems.

As with any gas piping, make sure all your joints are tight and test all the joints either with a pressure test or soapy water.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-09, 07:30 PM
I know it is lot more work, but hacksaw is my preference because of minimal amount of vibration disturbance to existing gas pipes and connections...

Old 04-18-09, 11:26 AM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.