Help me ID the parts...(pics inside)

Old 04-23-09, 06:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me ID the parts...(pics inside)

so i'm getting ready to swap some pipes (galv steel to copper) and just want to make sure i'm dealing with not going too far...

look like a steel pipe into a brass fitting? why is there an extra screw/clamp looking thing across the pipe?

side shot of the piece. can i unscrew the part that's above the meter (teflon tape part) and replace it w/ a brass 3/4 NPT to 3/4 copper sweat?

here's the other end of the steel pipe (similar looking fitting)..what's with the extra stuff that on the fitting? why wouldn't someone just screw the steel pipe right into the T fitting? dielectric fitting?

last thing...noticed this on the steel pipes. is it rusting from inside out?

sorry for the bandwidth..thanks for looking.

Old 04-24-09, 04:07 PM
J
What you show measuring is a 1/2" fitting. but ideally, residential water supply lines should be min. 3/4, and remain 3/4 inside the house as close to the faucets as practical, before necking down to 1/2. If you are replacing it with new pipe, go to all 3/4 as far as you can, don't worry about what is there now. Even if you don't replace it all, it is easy to get fittings to adapt any size to any size.

Old 04-25-09, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the spot looks like electrolosis, a dissimilar metal may have been touching the pipe. not saying it is but thats what it looks like

Old 04-25-09, 10:05 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
plumber type guys;

what about the clamp on fitting?

op posted:

look like a steel pipe into a brass fitting? why is there an extra screw/clamp looking thing across the pipe?
I'm curious as well but the OP asked about removing that fitting and being able to attach a threaded pipe directly to where the strap-on is attached.

any ideas?

Old 04-25-09, 10:35 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'm only 90% sure of this but I think the brass fitting is a compression-type coupling on an unthreaded piece of steel pipe. It uses a rubber washer or "O" ring to achieve the water tight seal and the clamp is for electrical bonding.

Since the water meter most likely belongs to the water utility it may be best for mktbully to first contact the utility before making any changes. If they okay it, then the brass adapter would be removed back to the brass valve. It looks like there is a nipple between the adapter and the valve.

Old 04-25-09, 03:47 PM
Received 16 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Furd is right about it being a compression type of fitting,we use them on water mains,made by Meuller (sp) or Ford....the clamp is just for retention to keep the pipe from blowing out of the fitting.

Old 04-29-09, 08:23 PM
M
Originally Posted by Just Bill
What you show measuring is a 1/2" fitting. but ideally, residential water supply lines should be min. 3/4, and remain 3/4 inside the house as close to the faucets as practical, before necking down to 1/2. If you are replacing it with new pipe, go to all 3/4 as far as you can, don't worry about what is there now. Even if you don't replace it all, it is easy to get fittings to adapt any size to any size.
would it be a bad idea to start the 3/4 from the 1/2 fitting at the meter or is it too late at that point and i should just start from the water main or something? i guess that's the reason for the really low water pressure that i'm getting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: