Dripping Outside Faucet

Old 04-29-09, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dripping Outside Faucet

Outside faucet (where garden hose attaches) is dripping. Man who plumbed the house 15 years ago told me he put in a frost proof assembly that goes through wall and hooks into water line near toilet inside. He told me not to mess with the whole assembly but to take the guts apart.
The blue round handle keeps turning when you turn the faucet off and it drips. I did what the man said and inside was this long metal thingy that the handle was attached to. The long metal thingy has 1/2 inch cracks in the metal. There was also a plastic washer on the inside that was broken. So I put the thing back together and it quit dripping for 2 months. Now it's back with a vengance. There is no name on the stupid thing.
Is there a way to replace the guts and handle to stop this thing from dripping?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-09, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
unless you know the brand and model nope.

might just be easier to replce the thing. did he say how he attached it? did he install an adapter and screw it in like it is supposed to be or did he solder it on?

Old 04-29-09, 03:37 PM
He told me there was nothing to screw on or off. It was put in the wall and under the tile flooring in the bathroom to the water line. He said if I couldn't replace the inards that I would have to get a plumber. Fooey!!!

Old 04-30-09, 02:12 AM
ah, he is one of them plumbers that likes to take short cuts. it should have been installed in an adapter sincce that is how these were designed.

at least unless this on is very old and i have not heard of them

Old 04-30-09, 05:11 AM
Dan - I have a $10.00 shot. I found the guts on Ebay that may fit. Since it's the guts (stem) on the inside causing the trouble I'll spend the $10.00 and hope it fits. Man is a reliable seller and believes it may work. I'd rather be out the $10.00 and try before I have to call the big buck guys in. Will let you all know if my long shot works. Thanks for being there!!!!!!

Old 05-13-09, 06:52 AM
Well the ebay thing didn't match and I didn't buy it. I mentioned the problem to my aircondition guy and he told me to go and buy this little $7.00 piece that screws onto the part of the faucet that the hose goes on. Then you attach the hose and there is a little lever that is on the thing and you turn it and VIOLA it cuts the water off. End of leak. I know the problem is not totally solved, but it works for now!!!!!

Old 05-13-09, 12:03 PM
oh ok. it is a faucet leak not a handle leak. either you need a new washer which requires the stem to be removed or the faucet itself needs replaced.

if it is just the washer that needs replaced doing what you have done will only exacerbate the problem and most likely make sure you hae to replace the faucet instead of repairing it

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-13-09 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Non beneficial remark
Old 05-14-09, 05:59 AM
Plumbermandan - That's what I was afraid of. I figured that was too easy to do. I will keep the funds in savings until I can find someone to replace the bad frost free bib (thingies). We run the garden house out to the horse trough. It's good for the horses feet to keep the water around the ground by the trough for the moisture of their feet. When it was just slightly dripping, it was a good thing. Now it's all just BAD!!! Got another thread going on electricity. When it rains it pours!! Thanks again!